How to Obtain System Configuration and Memory Information
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft FoxPro for MS-DOS, versions 2.0, 2.5, 2.5a, 2.5b, 2.6
The FoxPro loader program, FOX.EXE, analyzes system information about the processor, memory configuration, and available FoxPro executables to determine which FoxPro executable file to load. To view this information, type "fox -v" (without the quotation marks) at the MS-DOS prompt.
The FOX -V command generates the following lines of information:
- Processor (80x86): This line indicates the type of processor. The value displayed is a single digit indicating the value of the "x" in "80x86." For example, a "4" indicates an 80486 processor.
- DPMI: This line indicates the presence of an MS-DOS Protected Mode Interface compliant server. The value displayed is "Yes" or "No."
- EMS: EMS (in K): This line indicates the amount of Lotus/Intel/Microsoft (LIM) version 4.0 Expanded Memory Specification (EMS) memory. The value is displayed in kilobytes.
- VCPI: This line indicates the presence of a Virtual Control Program Interface compliant server. This server allows EMS emulators and MS-DOS extenders to coexist on 80386 or higher processors. The value displayed is "Yes" or "No."
- PM: This line indicates that the system has LIM 4.0 compliant expanded memory that supports protected mode applications, such as FOXPROX.EXE. The value displayed is "Yes" or "No."
- XMS (in K): This line indicates the amount of Extended Memory Specification (XMS) memory. The value is displayed in kilobytes.
- Ext (in K): This line indicates the amount of extended memory not under the control of either the EMS or XMS. The value is displayed in kilobytes.
- Found: This line lists the FoxPro executables found on the MS-DOS search path. The first occurrence of each type of executable is listed.
- FoxPro: This line indicates which FoxPro executable will be loaded, based on the system environment.
Below is a sample of the output generated by FOX -V:
Processor (80x86) : 4
DPMI : Yes
EMS (in K) : 0
VCPI : No
PM : Yes
XMS (in K) : 4096
Ext (in K) : 0
FoxPro : C:\FOX25\FOXPROX.EXE
Additional query words: FoxDos
Version : 2.00 2.50 2.50a 2.50b 2.60
Platform : MS-DOS
Issue type :