Microsoft KB Archive/101454
Article ID: 101454
Article Last Modified on 8/15/2003
- Microsoft Excel 97 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Excel 98 for Macintosh
This article was previously published under Q101454
If the Ignore Other Applications option is selected in the Options dialog box in Microsoft Excel versions 5.0 and later, or if the Ignore Remote Requests option is selected in versions 2.x, 3.0 or 4.0, Microsoft Excel ignores all Dynamic Data Exchange (DDE) requests from other programs.
When either of these options is selected, Microsoft Excel does not allow you to access the file from any program other than Microsoft Excel. The requests from other programs will be ignored, and one or more of the following problems may occur:
- When you attempt to open a Microsoft Excel file from File Manager (or the Finder if you are using Microsoft Excel for the Apple Macintosh) or any program other than Microsoft Excel, Microsoft Excel is activated but the worksheet remains closed.
- Macros that are automatically opened are not executed when you open the worksheet from any program other than Microsoft Excel.
- You are not able to print files by dragging them from the File Manager to the Print Manager. (Microsoft Excel for Windows only)
To work around this behavior, do the following to disable the Ignore Other Applications option, or the Ignore Remote Requests option.
Microsoft Excel Versions 5.0 and Later
To work around this behavior in Microsoft Excel 5.0 or later, follow these steps:
- On the Tools menu, click Options. Select the General tab.
- Clear the Ignore Other Applications check box and click OK.
Microsoft Excel Versions 2.x, 3.0, and 4.0
To work around this behavior in Microsoft Excel 2.0, 3.0, or 4.0, follow these steps:
- On the Options menu, click Workspace.
- In the Workspace Options dialog box, clear the Ignore Remote Requests check box and click OK.
"User's Guide 2," version 4.0, pages 132-134
Additional query words: 2.01 2.10 2.10c 2.10d 4.00a 5.00a 5.00c 7.00a 97 98 XL98 XL97 XL7 XL5 XL
Keywords: kbinterop kbprb KB101454