Microsoft KB Archive/101438
Installing Works 2.0 and 2.0a for Windows, Multimedia Edition
PSS ID Number: Q101438 Article last modified on 10-22-1998
====================================================================== 2.x WINDOWS kbsetup kbref
|The information in this article applies to:|
|- Microsoft Works for Windows, multimedia edition, versions 2.0 and 2.0a|
This article contains the requirements and installation procedure for Works for Windows, multimedia edition, versions 2.0 and 2.0a:
System Requirements for Works, Multimedia Edition
- MS-DOS 3.1 or higher
- Microsoft CD-ROM Extensions (MSCDEX) version 2.2 or later
- Microsoft Windows 3.1 or Windows 3.0 with Multimedia Extensions
- 2 MB of RAM
- 30 MB hard disk
- CD-ROM drive
Unlike most other CD-ROM applications, the core files of the Works, multimedia edition must be installed on your system’s hard disk. The only components that run from the CD-ROM drive are Help, Tutorial, and the user’s guide.
Installation of Works, Multimedia Edition
- Start Microsoft Windows.
- Insert the Multimedia CD into your CD-ROM drive. Make sure that the drive is turned on.
- If you are using Windows 3.x, choose Run from the File menu in Program Manager. If you are using Windows 95, click the Start button, and then click Run.
- In the Command Line box (Windows 3.1x) or the Open box (Windows 95), type <drive>:, where <drive> is the letter of your CD-ROM drive.
- Choose OK.
- Follow the instructions as Works for Windows begins installing itself. As Setup begins, you will have the option to watch a multimedia introduction to Works and see the contents of the CD.
After entering your name, you will have the option to select a complete or a custom installation. Select Complete Installation if you want to install the entire Works program into the C: directory. Select Custom Installation if your disk space is limited or if you want to install Works to a different directory.
Differences Between Works, Multimedia Edition and Stand-Alone Version
The following files are NOT installed in the MSWORKS directory with Works, multimedia edition.
The following files ARE added to the MSWORKS.CBT subdirectory with Works, multimedia edition:
NAME SIZE DATE --------------------------------- WORKSCBT.EXE 116624 3/24/92 CBTLIB3.DLL 16608 3/24/92 DEMO286.LES 4581 3/24/92 DEMO386.LES 4581 3/24/92 DEMO.ICO 766 3/24/92 MOVIE.DEX 7424 3/24/92
These additional files are used to access the Help and Tutorial files on the CD-ROM drive.
The Works multimedia edition does not come with a hard copy of the “Works for Windows User’s Guide” because these files are located on the CD-ROM drive. You can access the user’s guide from the Help menu in the program.
For more information about a Works custom installation, query on the following words in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
w_works and files and installed and directories
For more information about installing CD-ROM Extensions, query on the following words in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
d_ProgLib MSCDEX and installation
KBCategory: kbsetup kbref KBSubcategory: wworkskb
Additional reference words: 2.0x install set up mmedia setup mmtitles setup.exe 2.00 2.0a 2.00a multi media multi-media cd w_works ====================================================================== Version : 2.x Platform : WINDOWS ============================================================================= Copyright Microsoft Corporation 1998.