Widow and Orphan Control in FoxPro Report Writer
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft FoxPro for MS-DOS, versions 2.0, 2.5, 2.5a
The FoxPro Report Writer may break multiple detail lines for a single record onto multiple pages, creating orphan and widow lines.
An orphan is a single (or partial) line printed at the bottom of the first page from that record, and a widow is a single (or partial) line printed on the second page from that same record.
Using one of the methods below, you can force all the detail lines for a record to print on the same page in the FoxPro Report Writer.
NOTE: This method assumes that every detail band will have the same number of lines.
The following steps will allow forced widow and orphan control:
- Create a new report with a number of lines in the detail band.
- From the Report menu, choose Data Grouping.
- Add a new data group. For the group field, specify RECNO(), the FoxPro function that returns the current record number.
- Indicate the number of lines in the detail band in the "# of rows following header" portion of the group dialog box.
NOTE: The above method can be used even if there are other data groupings in the report. The RECNO() grouping should be the last grouping in the list. Usually, there will be no information in the data group heading for RECNO().
Additional query words: FoxDos undesirable bad page break
Issue type :