Microsoft KB Archive/101284
Article ID: 101284
Article Last Modified on 11/22/1999
- Microsoft MS-DOS 6.0 Standard Edition
- Microsoft MS-DOS 6.2 Standard Edition
- Microsoft MS-DOS 6.21 Standard Edition
- Microsoft MS-DOS 6.22 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows 3.1 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows 3.11 Standard Edition
- Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 3.1
- Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 3.11
This article was previously published under Q101284
The setup program for Lucid Lightning disk-caching software does not detect other disk-caching software, such as Microsoft SMARTDrive version 4.x, if it is loaded high in upper memory. If disk-caching software is loaded low, Lucid Lightning disables it. In addition, the installations of Windows 3.1, Windows for Workgroups 3.1, and MS-DOS 6.0 do not detect third-party disk- caching software. As a result, running both disk-caching utilities simultaneously may produce cross-linked files or lost clusters.
To correct this problem, disable one of the two disk-caching utilities by modifying the AUTOEXEC.BAT file.
Lucid Corporation manufactures the following three versions of its Lightning disk-caching software:
- Lightning version 6.0 for DOS
- Lightning version 1.21 for Windows
- Lightning version 1.1 for CD
To disable any version of the Lightning disk-caching software, modify the AUTOEXEC.BAT file as follows:
REM C:\LIGHT60\L REM C:\WINDOWS\LIGHTWIN\L REM C:\LIGHTCD\L
For more information, call Lucid Corporation Technical Support.
The products included here are manufactured by Lucid Corporation, a vendor independent of Microsoft; we make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding these products' performance or reliability.
Additional query words: 6.22 6.00 6.20 4.0 4.00 4.1 4.10 third party 3rdparty smartdrv