Notes for Using APPEND FROM to Add Data from Spreadsheet
The information in this article applies to:
- Microsoft FoxPro for MS-DOS, versions 2.0, 2.5 , and 2.5a
- Microsoft FoxPro for Windows, versions 2.5 and 2.5a
Keep the following points in mind when using the APPEND FROM command to add data to a database from a spreadsheet data file:
- The spreadsheet should be constructed with the same number of columns as database fields. However, if the database (into which the spreadsheet is being appended) has more fields than the spreadsheet file, you can select the appropriate database fields into which the columns are to be appended by using the Fields option. For example, the first column will be appended into the first specified field and the second column into the second specified field.
- If the number of columns exceeds the number of selected fields (the default is ALL fields if the Fields option is not used), any columns beyond the last database field will be truncated.
- The type of data in the first column should agree with the characteristics of the first database field, the second column with the second field, and so on. If the field types do not match, data may be lost. For example, importing character data into a numeric field will result in data loss, but numeric data will appear in a character field as characters.
Additional reference words: FoxDos FoxWin 2.00 2.50 2.50a datafile import KBCategory: kbprg KBSubcategory: FxinteropSpread