Microsoft KB Archive/100730
Article ID: 100730
Article Last Modified on 10/13/2003
- Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 3.1
- Microsoft Windows for Workgroups 3.11
This article was previously published under Q100730
When you print to a shared network printer from Windows for Workgroups, the printer may not eject the final page of a print job.
To work around this problem, you can create a custom separator file that contains control codes to force the printer to eject the last page.
NOTE: The custom separator file must be specified in Print Manager on the machine that is acting as the print server. This file affects only print jobs that are printing from other workstations, not jobs from the workstation server itself.
The custom separator file must be in either Clipboard file format or Windows Metafile format. The easiest method is to create a Clipboard file as follows:
- Open Microsoft Write.
- Turn your NUM Lock key ON, and use the numeric keypad (this procedure does not work if you use the number keys at the top of your keyboard).
- On a clean page, press ALT+027 followed by an uppercase letter E. This should give you the escape character and an uppercase letter E. The escape character is displayed as a rectangle on the screen. Do not place a space between the escape character and the letter E.
NOTE: The printer control codes typed in step 3 are specific to printers that use the PCL5 printer language. Printer control codes for your particular printer may vary. Please consult your printer documentation for details.
- Select the two characters you typed. From the Edit menu, choose Copy.
- Open the ClipBook Viewer and select the window titled Clipboard.
- From the File menu, choose Save As, and save the file as follows:
- Open Print Manager and choose Separator Pages from the Options menu.
- Select Custom Separator File, and specify your Clipboard file (c:\windows\formfeed.clp), and then choose OK.
Documents you print to your Windows for Workgroups shared printer will now issue a form feed prior to printing.
This custom separator file can be printed on all printers shared on the Workgroup server.
Additional query words: 3.10 3.11