Microsoft KB Archive/100315
Article ID: 100315
Article Last Modified on 11/1/2006
- Microsoft Windows NT Advanced Server 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.1
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.5
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 3.51
- Microsoft Windows NT Workstation 4.0 Developer Edition
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.5
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 3.51
- Microsoft Windows NT Server 4.0 Standard Edition
This article was previously published under Q100315
The following steps are performed by the Emergency Repair Disk:
- Runs CHKDSK on the partition containing Windows NT system files. On Intel x86 machines, also runs CHKDSK on the system partition (this is optional and must be enabled manually).
- Verifies that each file in the installation is good, through a checksum algorithm. If files are missing or corrupt they are restored from the installation disks.
- Replaces the default system and security (SAM) Registry hives, subject to user confirmation.
- Reinstalls Boot Loader (that is, the boot sector, BOOT.INI, NTLDR, etc.)
Note: The Emergency Repair disk is machine specific, and should only be used on a system on which it was created.
Additional query words: tshoot repair
Keywords: kbinfo KB100315