Tip for installing timebombed betas in VPC

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

Tip for installing timebombed betas in VPC

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

Some people might already know this, but I only just found out how to disable VirtualPC's automatic time sync, so I decided to create a bit of a guide. This is necessary to install timebombed betas, as Whistler and early LH betas will crap out during the graphical install phase if the date is well past the expiry date.

Anyway, first make and configure a virtual machine. Then go into Notepad and open up the virtual machine's VMC file (its configuration file).

Look for the following:

Code: Select all

<integration>
<microsoft>
Now copy the XML below, and paste it just after <microsoft>

Code: Select all

<components>
<host_time_sync>
<enabled type="boolean">false</enabled>
</host_time_sync>
</components>
Save the file, and fire up Virtual PC. Hit DEL to get into the BIOS, and set the date to how you want it. Now Virtual PC will keep that date, instead of resetting it everytime you start.
Last edited by pr0gram the pr0grammer on Sat Aug 26, 2006 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Nice tip. Ill have to try that on my copy

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

- pr0gram the pr0grammer: Thanks, man. Now I can finally get those old Chicagos up and running on my VPC.

benny1091

Would This Solve CAB32 Problem In Chicago?

Post by benny1091 »

Whenever I install Chicago build 58 or whatever, I get an error about CAB32.exe after installation, so I cant use it. Will this solve that problem?

Vista Ultimate R2

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

I seem to remember getting that error a long time ago - I'm not sure it's to do with the time though. At the time I assumed the copy of Chicago was corrupt and I think I got a different one that works.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

benny1091,

Please review the forum rules. Your reply was more than one month since the last reply.