Proof that Windows 2000 Embedded Exists

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Bender
Donator

Proof that Windows 2000 Embedded Exists

Post by Bender »

Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"

QuiescentWonder
Donator

Post by QuiescentWonder »

I didn't know that there wasn't proof, I have a 2000 Embedded COA myself. Funny how people post screenshots with product keys in them.

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

QuiescentWonder wrote:I didn't know that there wasn't proof, I have a 2000 Embedded COA myself. Funny how people post screenshots with product keys in them.
Posting a product key doesn't harm, WIndows 2000 doesn't have activation.
Even if it did, Dell product keys can't activate over the internet.

but there is no point in posting the COA label, unless they want to show the year the aquired the label. MS changes the COA label every couple of years but this person just want to show what's inside the cover.

QuiescentWonder
Donator

Post by QuiescentWonder »

No, they probably just wanted to show that they're selling a laptop with a legal copy of Windows on it. Without a COA the EULA would have been broken.

Sure, they change the style of the COA every once in a while, I'm not sure what else you would mean by saying they change it every couple of years. They certainly don't post the same key on every COA and I'm not sure what else you would be referring to, as the style of the COA has nothing to do with it's validity.

Also, in Windows XP, Dell COAs might not be activated over the Internet, but they are over the phone.

IsaacD

Post by IsaacD »

#1: That's a POS Machine, not a Laptop
#2: It's currently running on every Touchscreen POS system at my local supermarket, I'm presuming OEM?.

Who gave you the idea that 2000 Embedded didn't exist?

EDIT: It's odd when having a look around the web that it was said to be cancelled, and yet, there is copies running on certain different types of devices, I'm presuming the OEM copy part because in the manual to the POS machines, there are references of the OS on a recovery partition
Slavic Wog to the Core!

My Mark; Shall you RIP. 15/06/1960 - 11/04/2014

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

Alexsis wrote:#1: That's a POS Machine, not a Laptop
Who said it was a laptop?

offnote, one of the major supermarkets here have like P3 1Ghz POS machines with NT4..

KCLiVES
Donator

Post by KCLiVES »

QuiescentWonder wrote:they're selling a laptop
----------------
Listening to: Nirvana - Polly

nookupeous

Re: Proof that Windows 2000 Embedded Exists

Post by nookupeous »

Here's a very interesting article of a guy who wants to Reinstall Windows 2000 Embedded, he says on the drive that there is a batch file and a ghost image to reinstall the operating system.

http://ask.metafilter.com/60117/Reinsta ... 0-Embedded

Also, If I ever see one of these in recycling at work or for sale, I'll grab it and make an image of the harddisk for everyone at BA

st.alfonzo
Donator

Post by st.alfonzo »

#1: That's a POS Machine, not a Laptop
lol, at first I thought you meant "piece of s***"

missingno

Post by missingno »

Windows 2000 Embedded does indeed exist, but it was shortly nixed and they switched to the Whistler/XP-based kernel for the operating system.

http://windowsitpro.com/article/article ... round.html
The Windows 2000 Embedded development efforts are gone. The new development group will deliver an embedded OS based on the upcoming Whistler OS, which will appear late in 2001; Microsoft will release the Whistler embedded OS about 90 days later. Microsoft will release a Win2K Appliance Kit and follow it with a high-end embedded OS release in about 18 months, delaying Microsoft's assault on the high-end embedded OS marketplace. The Win2K Appliance Kit will contain the same tools and technology that Microsoft used in IBM and Dell information appliances—customized versions of Win2K in which Microsoft has disabled, but not removed, parts of the OS to create a smaller footprint.
"Win2K Appliance Kit" sounds like that "Windows Powered" OS on the FTP.

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

This document mentions:
MICROSOFT® WINDOWS® 2000 PROFESSIONAL FOR EMBEDDED SYSTEMS (1-2 CPU VERSION)
MICROSOFT® WINDOWS® XP PROFESSIONAL 64 BIT EDITION FOR EMBEDDED SYSTEMS (1-2 CPU)
MICROSOFT® WINDOWS® XP PROFESSIONAL FOR EMBEDDED SYSTEMS (1-2 CPU VERSION)
MICROSOFT® WINDOWS® XP PROFESSIONAL FOR EMBEDDED SYSTEMS—RUSSIAN VERSION (1-2 CPU VERSION)
MICROSOFT® WINDOWS® XP PROFESSIONAL FOR EMBEDDED SYSTEMS—SIMPLIFIED CHINESE VERSION (1-2 CPU VERSION)
However, those are not componentized like the normal Windows XP Embedded. These versions (I have XP Pro for Embedded Systems) are bog-standard OEM versions including WPA etc. but sold with different licensing terms:
2. ADDITIONAL LICENSING REQUIREMENTS AND/OR USE RIGHTS.
a. Specific Use. [OEM] designed this device for a specific use. You may only use the software for that use.
b. Other Software. You may use other programs with the software as long as the other programs
• directly support the manufacturer’s specific use for the device, or
• provide system utilities, resource management, or anti-virus or similar protection.
Software that provides consumer or business tasks or processes may not run on the device. This includes email, word processing, spreadsheet, database, scheduling and personal finance software. The device may use terminal services protocols to access such software running on a server
In other words, no general purpose OS, just designed for one purpose (even though they can be used as such).

I am inclined to believe that the "Windows 2000 Pro Embedded" COA refers to this version but of course I may be wrong.