MS does it again...

New news and release discussion.
empireum
Donator

MS does it again...

Post by empireum »

SOFTWARE AND hardware and networking and console firm Microsoft seems to have issued the wrong release of Windows Vista Business & Enterprise Editions to its Volume Licence Customers.

From the original release earlier this month, there were problems that arose with the install DVD as well as the installed versions of Vista.

A note on the web site said: "Reinstall Required: If you downloaded Windows Vista Business 32 Bit in English before November 22, 2006, please download and reinstall the updated version. We apologize for any inconvenience.."
Source: http://theinquirer.net/default.aspx?article=36022

Interesting: TheInquirer says Business and Enterprise VLK editions are affected, MS only mentions Business. I haven't noticed any problems with my Enterprise DVD and installation (other than being unable to activate it) and wonder what these problems were/are.

Vista Ultimate R2

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

I saw this story too - is there a VLK (ie KMS) version of Business too, or are they referring to the normal version of Business? As if they were, that would mean that the normal Vista DVD is affected as that contains Business, yet they haven't recalled any of the other copies (MSDN etc), and the copies we all have seem fine - very confusing isn't it?!

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Yes, AFAIK, there's a VLK version of Business.

Vista Ultimate R2

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

Any info around yet on what the problem with it was? Maybe something to do with the volume licence activation as only the VLK versions were recalled? - you said there was an option to activate online in your Enterprise, but it didn't seem to be working?

Wasn't there something similar to this with another product recently - SBS R2 was it? I think it went RTM but then they found some problem and had to recall it.

Screws anyone that rolled out Vista Enterprise to their 1000s of workstations on the day it got released to the volume customers, and now has to install it all again (yeah, like any of them did!)

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

Any info around yet on what the problem with it was? Maybe something to do with the volume licence activation as only the VLK versions were recalled? - you said there was an option to activate online in your Enterprise, but it didn't seem to be working?
Could be. Yes, my Enterprise didn't want to be activated online, but I'll have to do some further testing and investigating. I hope we get to know what the error was exactly. I think for Enterprise, "Activate online" means "Activate using a KMS in your network".
Screws anyone that rolled out Vista Enterprise to their 1000s of workstations on the day it got released to the volume customers, and now has to install it all again (yeah, like any of them did!)
If I were one of them, I'd just install the new image on one of my systems and enroll that to all my workstations again. It's a bit of work though, indeed, but still better than reinstalling thousands of systems... But I don't think any company with that number of systems has upgraded to Vista as of now. For example, a company I happen to know when it came to that had just begun enrolling XP SP2 at the beginning of 2006. I don't think they're going to use Vista before 2008 or even 2009... So, there's plenty of time for MS to fix these "small issues"

pr0gram the pr0grammer
Donator

Post by pr0gram the pr0grammer »

A product recall only days after release? Windows 1.00 all over again?

Hang onto those pre-Nov 22 copies, they might come in handy 20 years from now.
pr0gram the pr0grammer
BetaArchive retiree | OSBA Expat

___
Donator

Post by ___ »

or worth nothings . well at least rip it

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

My Enterprise torrent is from Nov 24, so I don't really know if my copy belongs to the affected (later rare) ones or not...

___
Donator

Post by ___ »

anyone able to get the md5 hash of the new iso?