Getting 8meg Broadband

Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Any off topic discussions should go in this forum. Post count is not increased by posting here.
Archive Access status is required to post in this forum. Find out how to get it
Beta Freak

Getting 8meg Broadband

Post by Beta Freak »

Found out today that I was on an old broadband package from Wanadoo which is 1meg for £17.99 with 2GB monthly download.
It is £14.99 for 2meg with 2GB monthly and for £19.99 I can get 8meg with Unlimited (Good fair use policy) with free calls to anywhere in the UK and to 100 other countries.
Roughly, what will my k/B per second when I am maxing my connection?

empireum
Donator

Post by empireum »

You mean what will be your maximum download speed? Roughly (8megabits/second / 8bits) = 1 megabyte/second.

Vista Ultimate R2

Post by Vista Ultimate R2 »

That sounds like a very similar package to the one we get from TalkTalk. Be aware that these services are advertised as "up to[/i] 8 meg", and in reality your download speed will not normally be that much (and it's not actually possible for it to be that much unless certain conditions are met such as the distance you are form the phone exchange, and the wiring between you and the exchange).

Even if the real speed is more like 2 or 3 meg (which it often is on such deals) though, it's still a good price - the equivalent TalkTalk costs us a lot less than we paid before to have before to have unlimited dial-up and phone line rental/calls from separate companies - £20/month is about what you'd pay BT for line rental and calls, without any internet access (the Wanadoo deal does include line rental, right?).

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

empireum wrote:You mean what will be your maximum download speed? Roughly (8megabits/second / 8bits) = 1 megabyte/second.
You should expect about 900-950KB/s including overheads. I get 450-500KB/s on 4Mbps broadband.

___
Donator

Post by ___ »

always a good idea to check your ISP's deals once in a while

Beta Freak

Post by Beta Freak »

Sorry to bump but its finally been upgraded and im getting around 750kb/s downloading from Connect.
I havent checked my upload spped but hopefully its better, if only I had this speed when the Vista CPP was around.