NitroOS

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
James

NitroOS

Post by James »

This is a new Linux distro.

Founders:

DBlake1 (WPC)
WildEye001 (BA)

If you are interested
email: Tornadohunter022@aol.com

Last edited by James on Sun Jun 29, 2008 11:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

I'm betting 3 days before this project is cancelled.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

If you have nothing good to say do not say anything at all. At least someone is making an effort to make something new unlike you.

OG

Post by OG »

Admin edit: Post removed. I said stop saying things if you have nothing good to say. This is your only warning.

Rob Jansen
Donator

Post by Rob Jansen »

On wich linux version is it based?

For wich architecture?

Daniel

Post by Daniel »

I personally think, there is no need for another Linux distro - there are already so many (good) distro's floating around...
I doubt that much people will us it.

Anyways, I think making a custom distro is a good way to learn a bit about Linux. On what will you base it?
LFS is a nice way to do it...
And what are the features of it?

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

That's enough. Bender you should know better. I am removing ALL posts that are mocking this project. Any one else who posts anything that is to mock the project will be banned with no warning.

Bender
Donator

Post by Bender »

Andy wrote:That's enough. Bender you should know better. I am removing ALL posts that are mocking this project. Any one else who posts anything that is to mock the project will be banned with no warning.
Anyway. Image

This is a very early concept image.
Mozilla/5.0 (Macintosh; U; PPC; en-US; mimic; rv:9.3.2) Clecko/20120101 Classilla/CFM
"Stupid can opener! You killed my father, and now you've come back for me!"

Frozenport
Location: The Ephemeral between existance and non-existance: AKA "being"

Post by Frozenport »

First to the admins. mockery is hard to distinguish from criticism...

What is the selling point of this distro? What makes it better? Infact, I am wondering what exactly you will be changing?Is there actually a website?

What I would like to see...
-Port of portage...
-Integrate Wine
-Use only two rings; one for applications and one for device and kernels
-Make file structures be DOS like
-Have a single user mode
Part Time Troll - HPC Enthusiast - Spelling Master - Old Fart

James

Post by James »

OK, Thanks Andy for removing the mockery. yes, that was the earliest design, but since its impossible, we are gonna base it on Ubuntu for i386, Ubuntu for PPC and Ubuntu for PS3.

the PS3 Version isnt expected that quickly. We have to do some major hax. Because the PS3 Version cut off at 7.10. PPC and i386 we can do easily.

We do plan to Slipstream WINE into this. We may make a Live CD for people who dont want to install, but test.

The website, is still being built, I am trying to get Andy to give me Webspace. , Once we get the site up we will have a page called Recruitment. but if you cannot wait,

wildeye@betaarchive.co.uk,eMail me, with the subject "Recruitment Application"

State the following:

Experience in Coding
Experience in Photoshop
Experience with Ubuntu

The requirements are:

Coding: Not needed. If You apply for a coding position, 6 weeks minimum
Photoshop: At least 1 year of Photoshop.
Ubuntu: Not really needed (Unless you apply for: Beta Tester or App Integrater)

-WildEye001
Founder, Owner of Noname Linux Project.

James

Post by James »

Attention:

I have been notified by Chris Fuenty, that *he* owns the full legal copyright to "Unity", So I was forced to remove "Unity" from my Distro, I apologize to everyone who liked the name. I am holding a New Name Contest, whoever comes up to with the best name.

Apologies,
WildEye001

(c) Unity 2008, Chris Fuenty

James

Post by James »

ANOTHER UPDATE!

it is now, nOS. "NitroOS".

I hope this OS will succeed.

intellivision

Post by intellivision »

hmm, can I make a quick suggesstion?
Before they got remooved the previous posts were along the lines of "oh no not another linux distro", and I tend to agree.
Why not try a different code base such as Haiku? atm haiku has a whole library of apps and drivers and it is compleatly open source.

happy dude
Donator

Post by happy dude »

wildeye: I doubt Chris (Zimmy) has copyright to the word "Unity".

James

Post by James »

mmm...He has copyrights to Unity Linux. So I cant use it.

4tified
Donator

Post by 4tified »

**Please evaluate before you delete this post, this is not meant to flame or cause and argument.**

I have got to say something here.... I have nothing against wildeye... honest to God. But there have been MANY "announcments" about building an OS (or rebuilding one, whichever) and these projects are never finished. A handful (Alpha Betas, etc.) have acutally succeeded and were carried out. I'm not stating that Wildeye and his team won't succeed or stay with the project, but how are we not supposed to be doubtful when announcments like these have been made so many times in the past and not carried out? And I'm not sure is this was meant for me or happy dude:
Andy wrote:If you have nothing good to say do not say anything at all. At least someone is making an effort to make something new unlike you.
Neither one of us ever announced starting a project on an OS to begin with, (and I never claimed to want to start an OS) so why that comment? Why are we not allowed to doubt something that has been announced and then dropped numerous times?

To wildeye:

I apolgize about the comment I posted before, I have no idea why I posted that. I am no better than anyone else here and shouldn't act like I have authority in this area. I am just really sceptical when it comes to projects like these because there have been LOTS of attempts...or claims to start projects and they are dropped like the concept was never thought up. I personally love seeing new projects lift off and succeed and like being a part of it. So far, you seem to be sticking with it, so I commend you and hope that you have much success in creating this new OS. NitroOS sounds like a good name.