Is music OK on BetaArchive?

Discussions about the database and download system. Use this forum if you have questions, find bugs, or need help.
Archive Access status is required to download files from our database. Find out how to get it
Forum rules
Archive Access status is required to download files from our database. Find out how to get it
LonghornFan6565

Is music OK on BetaArchive?

Post by LonghornFan6565 »

So, i found 10 disks than contain music from 90s, and i dumped them, are they okay for database?
They didnt mention music in "Contribution", this is why i am here.
I actually got a quite rare disks, some with date "01.01.95"
They all are in .CDA format.

NKLOL1938

Re: Is music OK on BetaArchive?

Post by NKLOL1938 »

NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Only genuine or beta CD/DVD-ROM or floppy computer software, games or OS Betas, discs or disks, genuine linux media, DEV (Developer) media, Original OEM OS update media and evaluation software for archive access + general archiving.

Everything mentioned above, plus Digital beta apps, games, OS, Videogame console beta games and apps, Digital MSDN, Technet and VLSC software, GOG Digital games, Original photo, artwork and clipart collection media, Original font collection media, Original press kit and promotional media, Original demo computer software (limitations may apply, ask on the forums or join the Betaarchive Discord) for general archiving ONLY.

MUSIC CDs are not allowed here to respect copyright owners of their songs.

Now go try finding computer software on physical media (e.g. CD-ROM, DVD-ROM or Floppy Disk), rip it using Betaarchive's desired ripping software, upload it, apply for Archive access again, wait and then come back here.

If you apply for archive access without uploading anything or just uploaded trash, you might get BANNED.

LonghornFan6565

NKLOL1938 wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2024 9:47 am
NO, ABSOLUTELY NOT!

Only genuine or beta CD/DVD-ROM or floppy computer software, games or OS Betas, discs or disks, genuine linux media, DEV (Developer) media, Original OEM OS update media and evaluation software for archive access + general archiving.

Everything mentioned above, plus Digital beta apps, games, OS, Videogame console beta games and apps, Digital MSDN, Technet and VLSC software, GOG Digital games, Original photo, artwork and clipart collection media, Original font collection media, Original press kit and promotional media, Original demo computer software (limitations may apply, ask on the forums or join the Betaarchive Discord) for general archiving ONLY.

Now go try finding computer software on physical media (e.g. CD-ROM, DVD-ROM or Floppy Disk), rip it using Betaarchive's desired ripping software, upload it, apply for Archive access again, wait and then come back here.

If you apply for archive access without uploading anything or just uploaded trash, you might get BANNED.
Thank you so much for your reply, quite informative. In "Contribution" they didnt say a word about music, so thanks. Helped me alot.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

NKLOL1938 wrote:
What about the copyright owners of the software that is available here? Microsoft? Adobe? etc.? Is their copyright different?
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

LonghornFan6565

Darkstar wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:50 pm
NKLOL1938 wrote:
What about the copyright owners of the software that is available here? Microsoft? Adobe? etc.? Is their copyright different?
You're so right. Just for example take Windows.

Random_User
Donator

Post by Random_User »

LonghornFan6565 wrote:They all are in .CDA format.
.cda files are virtual files that provide an interface for accessing CD audio tracks in Windows. Audio CDs don't actually have a file system-like structure; they just store a raw stream of 16-bit PCM at 44.1 KHz. In order to copy it, you'd need to use disc-ripping software.

Now, to answer your question, freestanding pure audio CDs are not accepted for upload here. However, some software titles may have audio CD extras included with the title. Such CDs would of course be accepted if uploaded along with the rest of the title. Moreover, some software CDs (especially game ones) include audio tracks in addition to a data track. Those of course are acceptable as usual.

LonghornFan6565

Random_User wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2024 4:52 pm
LonghornFan6565 wrote:They all are in .CDA format.
.cda files are virtual files that provide an interface for accessing CD audio tracks in Windows. Audio CDs don't actually have a file system-like structure; they just store a raw stream of 16-bit PCM at 44.1 KHz. In order to copy it, you'd need to use disc-ripping software.

Now, to answer your question, freestanding pure audio CDs are not accepted for upload here. However, some software titles may have audio CD extras included with the title. Such CDs would of course be accepted if uploaded along with the rest of the title. Moreover, some software CDs (especially game ones) include audio tracks in addition to a data track. Those of course are acceptable as usual.
Another huge thanks! I am uploading them to Archive.org currently. Would be probally uploaded to morning.

Tootles
Donator

Post by Tootles »

Darkstar wrote:
Sun Jul 07, 2024 1:50 pm
NKLOL1938 wrote:
Their copyright isn't different on a legal level, but the way it is pursued is. Software companies stop selling or maintaining old versions of software, and those versions risk being lost. That's why we archive them here.

This isn't the same as how music publication works: there are records still available now that were first published many decades ago, and new releases don't supersede old releases, like the remastered version of Ther Dark Side of the Moon. Even new recordings don't supersede old ones, like the new Dark Side of the Moon Redux. Even long after Pink Floyd are all dead and buried, Harvest Records (or CBS, depending where you are) will continue to own the recordings which comprise that record, and they will continue to sell it and administer the copyright until that copyright expires.

Music publishers are also notoriously anal as regards their administration and protection of copyright. Did you know that an artist has to get permission from their publisher to print their own lyrics on the record cover/booklet their music is packaged with? If they don't, they get trouble for copyright theft just the same as you or I would.

If Microsoft were still selling Windows 1.01 alongside Windows 11, we wouldn't be archiving copies here. And the fact is, BA is a pretty big forum with a long-established presence on the 'net - and our provenance through our predecessor OSBA goes back decades. Microsoft know we're here, and they know what we do. It's almost certain that Adobe, Apple, Borland, and all those others do too.

TL;DR: copyright is copyright, but their copyright is effectively different.
Long days, and pleasant nights.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

Tootles wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 10:23 am
TL;DR: copyright is copyright, but their copyright is effectively different.
Sorry but that is nonsense. It's basically the same as saying "Stealing is okay if nobody notices it and I get away with it"...
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

Tootles
Donator

Post by Tootles »

Darkstar wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2024 3:09 pm
Sorry but that is nonsense. It's basically the same as saying "Stealing is okay if nobody notices it and I get away with it"...
It's the founding principle of how and why they allow downloads of old software here. We know that, strictly speaking, we're operating on the shadowy side of the law - we also know that if we were hosting music without permission, we'd have been shut down fifteen years ago and more. It's not so much that we're not being noticed and thus getting away with it - more that music publishers guard their copyrights like dragons and their hoards of gold. Music publishers don't acknowledge fair use, for instance, unless they're forced to. Microsoft aren't too concerned about me putting a downloaded copy of Windows 3.1 on an 86box setup, but Disney would have me pay royalties for whistling Heigh-Ho while I'm walking to my desk if they could.

Since we know that the extant companies whose software are hosted here know we're here, we can infer a kind of implicit permission. IIRC some pieces of software have had to be removed because of copyright (or maybe I'm thinking of WinWorld), but the bulk of the archive has been allowed to stand. It's even been an "open secret" here that prerelease versions of software have been unofficially leaked here because of our collective ability to find issues and discuss the technical aspects of those issues, making us part of the SDLC of certain pieces of software (like some versions of Windows prior to the Insider Program's implementation).

I'm sure Andy and/or mrpijey would accept what I've said as at least a roughly accurate description of our situation.

We're basically a museum. We preserve and study. We acknowledge that what we're playing with doesn't belong to us, and we treat it with respect.
Long days, and pleasant nights.