Is it possible to enable NT 3.x-styled buttons in NT4.0?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Post Reply
Mirolit
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:57 pm

Is it possible to enable NT 3.x-styled buttons in NT4.0?

Post by Mirolit »

When i used Office for NT 4.2 (which was created specially for NT 3.x) in BackOffice Server 4.0, i noticed that some buttons (including the tooltip and Aboutbox) still use the Windows 3.x/NT 3.x UI style.

Here is an example for comparison (Word 6.0 for NT "About" box vs standard NT 4.0 WordPad's "About" box):

Image

Thus, I believe that at least partial support for the old UI style has been preserved in Windows NT 4.0 shell API functions. However, even progman.exe and winfile.exe use the Chicago shell-like UI. Is it possible to somehow force NT4.0 to use the old UI-styled buttons, for example, in explorer.exe ?

dixieLH
User avatar
Posts: 389
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:59 pm

Re: Is it possible to enable NT 3.x-styled buttons in NT4.0?

Post by dixieLH »

maybe this would help (dunno if it can edit stuff tho)
but dunno where to find it as i'm looking it for myself as well

Image

roytam1
Posts: 745
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:15 am

Re: Is it possible to enable NT 3.x-styled buttons in NT4.0?

Post by roytam1 »

WinWord6 32bit uses CTL3D32.DLL to subclass standard controls and repaint them with CTL3D32's style of 3D controls.

Mirolit
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:57 pm

Re: Is it possible to enable NT 3.x-styled buttons in NT4.0?

Post by Mirolit »

roytam1 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:17 pm
WinWord6 32bit uses CTL3D32.DLL to subclass standard controls and repaint them with CTL3D32's style of 3D controls.
As i understood from the CTL3D/CTL3D32 description, it only affects the appearence of Forms/controls (either flat or 3D) inside the current UI style. However, the the appearance of the buttons in 3.x/NT 3.x is the same in both modes. So I suppose another dynamic library is used to render the buttons - perhaps the GDI or user32 functions.

roytam1
Posts: 745
Joined: Mon Nov 03, 2008 6:15 am

Re: Is it possible to enable NT 3.x-styled buttons in NT4.0?

Post by roytam1 »

Mirolit wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:47 pm
roytam1 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:17 pm
WinWord6 32bit uses CTL3D32.DLL to subclass standard controls and repaint them with CTL3D32's style of 3D controls.
As i understood from the CTL3D/CTL3D32 description, it only affects the appearence of Forms/controls (either flat or 3D) inside the current UI style. However, the the appearance of the buttons in 3.x/NT 3.x is the same in both modes. So I suppose another dynamic library is used to render the buttons - perhaps the GDI or user32 functions.
it is CTL3D's style, not "current" style. see https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/win32/ ... ssdlgex.md for details.

Mirolit
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:57 pm

Re: Is it possible to enable NT 3.x-styled buttons in NT4.0?

Post by Mirolit »

roytam1 wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 2:20 pm
Mirolit wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 12:47 pm


As i understood from the CTL3D/CTL3D32 description, it only affects the appearence of Forms/controls (either flat or 3D) inside the current UI style. However, the the appearance of the buttons in 3.x/NT 3.x is the same in both modes. So I suppose another dynamic library is used to render the buttons - perhaps the GDI or user32 functions.
it is CTL3D's style, not "current" style. see https://github.com/MicrosoftDocs/win32/ ... ssdlgex.md for details.
I mean (if i understood correctly), CTL3D doesn't affect the overall appearance of controls (for example, 3.x visual style => Chicago shell). It only sets whether the element is flat or 3D, as has been demonstrated in these samples: http://www.win3x.org/win3board/viewtopic.php?t=14706
And as i know, there is no difference between flat and 3D modes in Chicago shell (all elements are formally "3D" by default), unlike 3.x/NT 3.x visual style.

xelloss
User avatar
Donator
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:26 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Is it possible to enable NT 3.x-styled buttons in NT4.0?

Post by xelloss »

Mirolit wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:49 am
When i used Office for NT 4.2 (which was created specially for NT 3.x) in BackOffice Server 4.0, i noticed that some buttons (including the tooltip and Aboutbox) still use the Windows 3.x/NT 3.x UI style.

Here is an example for comparison (Word 6.0 for NT "About" box vs standard NT 4.0 WordPad's "About" box):

Image

Thus, I believe that at least partial support for the old UI style has been preserved in Windows NT 4.0 shell API functions. However, even progman.exe and winfile.exe use the Chicago shell-like UI. Is it possible to somehow force NT4.0 to use the old UI-styled buttons, for example, in explorer.exe ?
Look closely at the caption bar of Winword's about box: it's got an etched style that's not native in either version of Windows (or NT).
That's an indication that CTL3D (actually, version 1 of CTL3D, because CTL3DV2 is smarter than that) is being used.

The buttons look round because they are being drawn by CTL3D rather than USER: CTL3D was created to blend with the 3.x style, so it draws rounded buttons. The version of USER built into NT 4 (or any version of Windows after 95) won't draw rounded buttons no matter what, because it's not capable of doing it.

Mirolit
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:57 pm

Re: Is it possible to enable NT 3.x-styled buttons in NT4.0?

Post by Mirolit »

xelloss wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 6:32 pm
Mirolit wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2024 8:49 am
When i used Office for NT 4.2 (which was created specially for NT 3.x) in BackOffice Server 4.0, i noticed that some buttons (including the tooltip and Aboutbox) still use the Windows 3.x/NT 3.x UI style.

Here is an example for comparison (Word 6.0 for NT "About" box vs standard NT 4.0 WordPad's "About" box):

Image

Thus, I believe that at least partial support for the old UI style has been preserved in Windows NT 4.0 shell API functions. However, even progman.exe and winfile.exe use the Chicago shell-like UI. Is it possible to somehow force NT4.0 to use the old UI-styled buttons, for example, in explorer.exe ?
Look closely at the caption bar of Winword's about box: it's got an etched style that's not native in either version of Windows (or NT).
That's an indication that CTL3D (actually, version 1 of CTL3D, because CTL3DV2 is smarter than that) is being used.

The buttons look round because they are being drawn by CTL3D rather than USER: CTL3D was created to blend with the 3.x style, so it draws rounded buttons. The version of USER built into NT 4 (or any version of Windows after 95) won't draw rounded buttons no matter what, because it's not capable of doing it.
To be honest, i still didn't notice a difference in the About box's Caption (since I didn't quite understand, are you pointing directly to the caption of the "About" window - i.e. the label of the window - or to the text area, where the copyright info is located).
Althought now i noticed that the info about the Word's copyright holder contains special Unicode characters, including the copyright sign (&copy) itself, while Windows (including basic applications) continued to use the "(C)" character combination up to Windows XP build 2465 (idx01).

Anyway, thanks for the information. Is it possible somehow (at least by recompiling libraries) to force Windows to use this library to render all buttons?

dixieLH
User avatar
Posts: 389
Joined: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:59 pm

Re: Is it possible to enable NT 3.x-styled buttons in NT4.0?

Post by dixieLH »

think he was talking about bumped-in title bar, not the text

xelloss
User avatar
Donator
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:26 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Is it possible to enable NT 3.x-styled buttons in NT4.0?

Post by xelloss »

dixieLH wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:02 pm
think he was talking about bumped-in title bar, not the text
Correct. You may need to zoom in several times to see it, but on the low res screens of 30 years ago it was pretty visible.

Mirolit
Posts: 21
Joined: Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:57 pm

Re: Is it possible to enable NT 3.x-styled buttons in NT4.0?

Post by Mirolit »

xelloss wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2024 3:52 pm
dixieLH wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2024 1:02 pm
think he was talking about bumped-in title bar, not the text
Correct. You may need to zoom in several times to see it, but on the low res screens of 30 years ago it was pretty visible.
Thanks. But is there any way to get WinNT to use this dll when working with other applications?

xelloss
User avatar
Donator
Posts: 406
Joined: Sun Aug 18, 2013 7:26 pm
Location: Edinburgh, Scotland

Re: Is it possible to enable NT 3.x-styled buttons in NT4.0?

Post by xelloss »

[quote=Mirolit post_id=478123 time=1719945607 user_id=55783
Thanks. But is there any way to get WinNT to use this dll when working with other applications?
[/quote]
The short answer is: no.
The long answer is: if you are ready to write your own code, you might be able to achieve it.

The smart answer is to look into WIndowBlinds, though I don't know if any version worked on NT 4.

Post Reply