DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 source code

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
marceg16579

DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 source code

Post by marceg16579 »

I would like to see the source code of DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 someday, even far away, but I don't think I'll ever see it.

Could Microsoft have lost the source code or are there any chances? ^^

LonghornFan6565

Re: DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 source code

Post by LonghornFan6565 »

I think not. Microsoft stores old versions of Windows in CD/floppies. Changes are low but still possible. But it only takes time.
Only who had those disks can upload source code. But Microsoft will get it hands on that relatively quickly.
Maxium who can do that is beta testers.

Mirolit

Re: DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 source code

Post by Mirolit »

marceg16579 wrote:
Thu Jun 27, 2024 7:11 pm
I would like to see the source code of DOS 6.22 and Windows 3.1 someday, even far away, but I don't think I'll ever see it.

Could Microsoft have lost the source code or are there any chances? ^^
I don't think so.

However, the 3.1 kernel (with some changes) and GDI sources, some drivers and even MS Write sources are present in NT 3.5/4.0 source code as a part of the MVDM (NTVDM). Also, i think it's possible to rebuild the Program Manager (progman.exe) and File Manager (winfile.exe) from NT3.5 build 782 source code, because according to progman.c, NT (32-bit binary) version of the PROGMAN was created directly from the 3.x 16-bit binary version:

* DESCRIPTION
* This file is for support of program manager under NT Windows.
* This file is/was ported from progman.c (program manager).
* MODIFICATION HISTORY
* Initial Version: x/x/90 Author Unknown, since he didn't feel
* like commenting the code...
* NT 32b Version: 1/16/91 Jeff Pack
* Intitial port to begin.
As for the DOS 6.22 sources, i don't think anyone will need or just manage to get this source code, and it's even more unlikely that MS will ever publish it. Recreating DOS 7.x/8.0 if the Windows 9x source code appears in the Internet (in one way or another) looks even more likely.
At the moment, the sources for at least one version for each generation of stand-alone MS-DOS versions are known:
  • 1.25 (officially published) for DOS 1.x
  • 2.00 (oficially published) for DOS 2.x
  • 3.30 (leaked) for DOS 3.x
  • 4.00 (officially published + partially leaked before as a part of NT 3.5 MVDM sources) for DOS 4.x
  • 5.0 (partially leaked as a part of NT 3.5 MVDM sources) for DOS 5.x
  • 6.00 (leaked) for DOS 6.x
I don't think this list will be updated soon.

UPD: It's possible that the MS-DOS 8.0 sources are contained in the Windows XP leak, but I haven't checked it and not sure.