What is the best way to dump and preserve old Zip Disks?

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
healthboost31

What is the best way to dump and preserve old Zip Disks?

Post by healthboost31 »

I came across a stash of some old Zip disks that a relative handed to me. There is an old Windows 98 PC he has that has a reader for it supposedly (I haven't seen it but he told me he does have one...). He wants my help with dumping and backing them up on his newer computer. What software can I use on Win98 to dump these discs properly?? I have only ripped and dumped CDs and DVDs. I am not so familiar with Floppy Disks and Zip Disks... Thanks In Advance !

Random_User
Donator

Re: What is the best way to dump and preserve old Zip Disks?

Post by Random_User »

You can use WinImage for that, or any other program that can make a sector-based copy.

Note that KryoFlux and other tools that preserve magnetic flux transitions only work on regular floppies that use the 34-pin floppy interface. They do not work on superfloppies (Although such a tool could conceivably be created).

JustZisGuy

Re: What is the best way to dump and preserve old Zip Disks?

Post by JustZisGuy »

The big problem you will run in to with zip media is that the zip drives are very fragile. If the disks and drives have not been well stored, there is a good chance the drive either will be long dead, or will fail after a few tries. There is not much that can be done to prevent that.

Also, there are several versions of the "zip" drives and disks, not all of which are compatible with each other. 100mb, 250mb, and 750mb.

If you get lucky and it works, usually all you need to do is copy the files off like any USB storage device. If you encounter Macintosh formatted disks, then yea, something like WinImage could dump raw images and you can extract files later.