Windows 2000 registry corrupted out of nowhere

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
AlfCraft07

Windows 2000 registry corrupted out of nowhere

Post by AlfCraft07 »

Yesterday evening, my Windows 2000 installation was struggling, lagging with everything I tried to do, and after an ordinary reboot, I wasn't even able to log on anymore due to "RalinkGina.DLL". To try and fix this, I booted to my Vista installation and replaced the file with a copy I found on the internet, and guess what? Trying to boot back into 2000 yielded an error message saying that the SYSTEM hive was corrupted (on its own, I didn't do anything). I also found some lags on Vista and XP, but not 7, however what is strange is that the simple use of a hard disk instead of an SSD shouldn't be giving any problems (I believe SSDs were very rare back then; I wasn't even alive during the 90s and early 2000s). Now, after taking 7 hours in the morning and early afternoon setting up the tri-boot again, everything is back up and running as before. So, just to know, may this be a sign of RAM willing to fail, or some other piece of hardware, or some virus somehow entered the system?

KTRMAmbiance

Re: Windows 2000 registry corrupted out of nowhere

Post by KTRMAmbiance »

More likely to be caused by the lack of TRIM support (on SSDs), considering SSDs almost didn't exist during the W2K/XP era

AlfCraft07

Post by AlfCraft07 »

I use an SSD for my Windows 7 install. 2000 boots off of a HDD, setup in triple boot alongside XP and Vista.

KTRMAmbiance

Post by KTRMAmbiance »

Did you check if the HDD got bad sectors or a SMART failure?
That can be a cause

AlfCraft07

Post by AlfCraft07 »

I've used two different HDDs since I've had Windows 2000, and neither of them gave any signs of bad performance or data corruption, even when I was using macOS on what is now the 2k disk (the other HDD, same Seagate ST500LT012-1DG142 with different firmware, is used to run Ventura and Sonoma from my other laptop, and had 2000/XP/Vista until I had the random shutdowns problem; after that I swapped the two drives thinking it was the HDD, I later fixed that problem by reseating the RAM while cleaning the dust out of the computer). As the registry got effed up, I just set back up the triple boot by reinstalling 2000, XP and Vista and it has run really smoothly until now. 7, alone on the SSD, was (and is) untouched and problem-free.