Metal Gear Solid PC BETA Disc?

Discuss any beta and abandonware games.
AB1NM8

Metal Gear Solid PC BETA Disc?

Post by AB1NM8 »

I found a PC Metal Gear Solid BETA Disc in one of my eBay bulk purchases and I was unable to find any information about this online?
Is anyone aware of their existence? I haven't had a chance to try and read the disc contents yet and it was in a loose paper CD slip.

mrpijey
Administrator

Re: Metal Gear Solid PC BETA Disc?

Post by mrpijey »

Please do dump and scan it for us and upload it to save it. We don't have any PC beta version of it.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

iBetaTosh

Post by iBetaTosh »

An upload of this disc would be much appreciated.
I wonder if it has PDB symbols? Probably not...

AB1NM8

Post by AB1NM8 »

Haven't had a chance to read the disc, what is PDB? It does say MS Confidential on it...

iBetaTosh

Post by iBetaTosh »

PDB files are just debugging information that is included when the game is compiled for a Debug target, though this disc likely does not have it.

AB1NM8

Post by AB1NM8 »

I see the data on the disc but trying to use IMGBurn and I immediately get nonstop read errors.
Found another thread about these Confidential discs, turns out they dont work well on newer drives. Just my luck as I threw out a bunch of old CDROM drives..

viewtopic.php?t=39202

iBetaTosh

Post by iBetaTosh »

Shucks, time to play the waiting game! Make sure to stock on old drives, and if you have any floppies, you'll definitely need to stock drives there too. When preserving Macintosh disks, I needed the help of three drives.

As the thread said, any old drive should do, but for certain bad discs, including copy protected discs, I prefer a Plextor PX-755/760 since they have a special instruction in their microcontroller that can help preserve advanced copy protection and finetune the error correction process.

:beta:

AB1NM8

Post by AB1NM8 »

iBetaTosh wrote:
Thu May 02, 2024 4:58 pm
Shucks, time to play the waiting game! Make sure to stock on old drives, and if you have any floppies, you'll definitely need to stock drives there too. When preserving Macintosh disks, I needed the help of three drives.

As the thread said, any old drive should do, but for certain bad discs, including copy protected discs, I prefer a Plextor PX-755/760 since they have a special instruction in their microcontroller that can help preserve advanced copy protection and finetune the error correction process.

:beta:
Ouch that price on the Plextor, are there any other sub 100$ models you recommend?

iBetaTosh

Post by iBetaTosh »

Unfortunately there is no other drive that is that good at error correction other than the Plextors, the Plextor PX-708, PX-712 are also capable but their lasers need to be swapped out eventually. The PX-716, the fastest of the low end DVD models that support opcode 0xD8, have a proprietary laser that die out.

The PX-W4012 and PX-W5224 are the next best bet, although they are older drives and thus can only read CDs. I think that for your purposes, a typical old CD drive from the 90's (plus a disc cleaning kit) will do just fine.

The Plextor verification is simply a requirement for places like redump.org, whereas BetaArchive is more lenient.