How to enable hidden boot screen in Microsoft Windows XP Setup or Recovery Console?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
NKLOL1938

How to enable hidden boot screen in Microsoft Windows XP Setup or Recovery Console?

Post by NKLOL1938 »

[YouTube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GayBC-g ... =NobelTech[/YouTube]
There is a video of that there is a hidden boot screen of Windows XP.
The boot screen shown above is disabled by default, and will normally be shown when you upgrade to Windows XP from Windows 98/ME/2000, unless you enable it manually.
Does anyone know the exact solution on how to get this on Windows XP Setup and Recovery Console?

Hyoenmadan86

Re: How to enable hidden boot screen in Microsoft Windows XP Setup or Recovery Console?

Post by Hyoenmadan86 »

Search for OsLoadOptions in TXTSETUP.SIF file from you BootPath folder (i386, AMD64, WINNT.BT, etc). It controls all the boot options when SETUPLDR.BIN loader is used (generally the so called "text mode setup, but also recovery console in windows versions before NT6 (Vista)). You can even enable serial debugging for text mode setup phase from there, but you need an special debug enabled version of USETUP.exe to use WinDBG commands with it. This is also used to enable WinPE mode with the [/MININT] switch, but you also need an special configured i386 folder with the winPE boot specific structure and windows registry files for that (being those what actually bartPE builds for you).

Generally, bootscreen is controlled there with [/NOGUIBOOT], but it can be also be disabled if an [/SOS] switch is there too.

NKLOL1938

Re: How to enable hidden boot screen in Microsoft Windows XP Setup or Recovery Console?

Post by NKLOL1938 »

Hyoenmadan86 wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2024 4:29 pm
Search for OsLoadOptions in TXTSETUP.SIF file from you BootPath folder (i386, AMD64, WINNT.BT, etc). It controls all the boot options when SETUPLDR.BIN loader is used (generally the so called "text mode setup, but also recovery console in windows versions before NT6 (Vista)). You can even enable serial debugging for text mode setup phase from there, but you need an special debug enabled version of USETUP.exe to use WinDBG commands with it. This is also used to enable WinPE mode with the [/MININT] switch, but you also need an special configured i386 folder with the winPE boot specific structure and windows registry files for that (being those what actually bartPE builds for you).

Generally, bootscreen is controlled there with [/NOGUIBOOT], but it can be also be disabled if an [/SOS] switch is there too.
Got it. Thanks!