Does anybody miss the transition effects that Windows Vista and 7 had?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Tolbs

Does anybody miss the transition effects that Windows Vista and 7 had?

Post by Tolbs »

Does anybody miss the transition effects that Windows Vista and 7 had when turning on, and then showing your desktop or turning off your computer? This was mostly removed in Windows 8, although when you shut down your computer, the transition effect is faster compared to Vista and 7.

For Windows 7, the transition effect to the logon/Welcome screen was removed, I was disappointed in that, and the startup sound does not sync with the logo.

0:57, 1:04 and 1:23

Examples in this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcDiDGa ... rNostalgia

dixieLH

Re: Does anybody miss the transition effects that Windows Vista and 7 had?

Post by dixieLH »

still using 7, so NO !

ha ha

anonymous74

Post by anonymous74 »

I miss everything about Vista and 7's UI. The garbage we're stuck with now is just disappointing graphical design. The web, operating systems, phones, it all looks the same and it all looks bad. At least this site hasn't hasn't fully gone down that path yet, although I still think the old colored logo from several years back looked better.
I collect old laptops and mess with old software.

Check out my website for vintage computer reference information, info on my collection, and more!

My projects are currently on indefinite hiatus due to lack of motivation. See my past ones here: https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index. ... nonymous74

Tolbs

Post by Tolbs »

anonymous74 wrote:
Sun May 28, 2023 1:16 am
I miss everything about Vista and 7's UI. The garbage we're stuck with now is just disappointing graphical design. The web, operating systems, phones, it all looks the same and it all looks bad. At least this site hasn't hasn't fully gone down that path yet, although I still think the old colored logo from several years back looked better.
Totally agree with all of that. Window animations, transparency, and the old logo looked better. Shame of how the UI went downhill starting with Windows 8...

anonymous74

Post by anonymous74 »

I don’t mind windows 8 too much. The early metro app animations and styling can actually look pretty nice, look at the Zune software to see what I mean. windows 10 is where in things went downhill even farther in my opinion. 7 is better though.

Check out my website for vintage computer reference information, info on my collection, and more!

My projects are currently on indefinite hiatus due to lack of motivation. See my past ones here: https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index. ... nonymous74

shiny

Post by shiny »

I do, it was such a smooth transition. But to be honest, Microsofts and mine opinions on how the OS should look and behave have misaligned long time ago, so I dont even care :D

Zv45Beta
Donator

Post by Zv45Beta »

Windows 8.1 looked really good, actually, together with Windows Phone. The UI was decently consistent, apart from the skeuomorphic icons that were leftovers from Win7... at least you didn't have a mish-mash of different UI designs and standard like Win10 did, and let's not forget how bad it looked back in the 1511/1607 days
Main computer: HP 820 G4 | i5-7500U | 16GB DDR4 | 256GB M.2 SATA SSD & 2TB 2.5" HDD | Linux Mint 21.3 Xfce
XP PC: ASUS P5QPL-AM | Xeon L5408 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 250GB 870 EVO SSD | ATi HD 6450 | XP SP4
9x PC: MSI MS-6368 v5 | Pentium III-S 1266 | 640MB PC133 | ATi 7000 PCI | 10GB HDD | WinMe
Other PCs: 2x EeePC 701 (1x spare, 1x XP SP3), HP 800 G2 DM (Win11 23H2), Wyse Cx0 (XP SP1a)
I collect Windows CE devices.

gtgamer468

Post by gtgamer468 »

The tile behavior with Start in Windows 8.x was far more superior than what Windows 10 gotten. It's a lot easier to organize the pinned apps when you needed to move or remove them. Windows 11 is just abysmal in general with its Start (which is hardly a menu).

Zv45Beta
Donator

Post by Zv45Beta »

Well I basically consider the Win11 start menu to be a big advertisement, especially when you get all the junk in the 'Recommended' section and you can't hide it, as far as I know
Main computer: HP 820 G4 | i5-7500U | 16GB DDR4 | 256GB M.2 SATA SSD & 2TB 2.5" HDD | Linux Mint 21.3 Xfce
XP PC: ASUS P5QPL-AM | Xeon L5408 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 250GB 870 EVO SSD | ATi HD 6450 | XP SP4
9x PC: MSI MS-6368 v5 | Pentium III-S 1266 | 640MB PC133 | ATi 7000 PCI | 10GB HDD | WinMe
Other PCs: 2x EeePC 701 (1x spare, 1x XP SP3), HP 800 G2 DM (Win11 23H2), Wyse Cx0 (XP SP1a)

anonymous74

Post by anonymous74 »

Animations in general have taken a huge nose-dive since Windows 10. Everything is way too subtle now. The pronounced animations in Windows 8, especially with the backgrounds in the start screen made it look decent, even if the iconography was too basic and flat in many places. Still doesn't beat Aero though, that's a UI that actually looked good. I'm a sucker for that frutiger aero visual style.

At some point I'm going to purchase, upgrade, and mod a ThinkPad T430 to use as a super nice Windows 7 laptop. Maybe I'll also dual-boot it with some form of Linux.
Offtopic Comment
It's really fascinating to look at the direction Windows is going in, that is, telemetry and advertising. Besides for the tabbed file browser, I can't think of a single real useful feature Windows has introduced in years. Everything they make (like those crappy new widgets) are just a way to track you, bloat the experience, or send you to Bing in microsoft edge. No thanks.
I never would have even remotely considered switching to Linux if it wasn't for Microsoft doing this, but yet here we are. I honestly really don't want to switch to Linux. It's difficult to use, requires lots of troubleshooting to set up properly, doesn't support all the software I need, and it doesn't support the latest generation hardware very well a lot of the time. But I am NOT switching to stock Windows 11, EVER. Nor will I ever switch to any AI-focused garbage that I hear rumors about (Windows 12?).
For now I'm using 10 on my main laptop and ClassicExplorer'd 11 on my on-the-go laptop, but even the Classic Explorer experience can be buggy. Will probably switch to Linux on my on-the-go system rather soon, not much I use on it that won't run on Linux. Just browser and code editor.

Zv45Beta
Donator

Post by Zv45Beta »

Don't even mention using RDP on Windows Server, especially when you are connected from a VPN on a slow internet connection. At my workplace, the animations make my RDP sessions so laggy and they're force enabled by default! At least they were disabled by default on 2012 R2, but on 2016 and newer it's chaos. And no, even a domain-wide Group Policy tweak wouldn't help, as i'm using the "Modem" quality option and the animations are still there...