Windows Codename "Knoxville" Source Archive.

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
Blackcomb

Windows Codename "Knoxville" Source Archive.

Post by Blackcomb »

For the old version of this post, check it out here: https://web.archive.org/web/20230311100 ... hp?t=44565

Windows Codename "Knoxville" Source Archive Version 1.07

Probably, many of you all are wondering why does this archive exists here, in the first place? Here are some Q&A before getting started:

This post was before, created to know the purpose and the existence of Windows Codename "Knoxville", and to see if there was any proof showing that it's existence has been confirmed true. Things will start to change in this post.

Due to "Knoxville" not having any kind of ISO that were leaked, or either some images about the operating system itself, there were some therories about the system itself, and recently, I've ( probably ) leaked a old magazine back from the 2003, which is said about "Knoxville" existence.

If there's information enough, I'll try to archive and save it up to Internet Archive, but for now, the archive will remain here for a while.

If in case a ISO is leaked, I will upload it on "Internet Archive", and I'll try to upload here on the FTP server if possible.

So, let's get straight to the Q&A

Question N01 < --- > What is the purpose of this post/archive?

Answer N01 < --- > To archive anything where "Knoxville" went mentioned, or anything related to it, like for examples: BA posts & topics.

Alternative Answer < --- > As soon as I get some necessary information, an archive of it will be made in "Internet Archive". It is here now for some reasons like, example: There will be more easier access to the documents and etc.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question N02 < --- > Is this some kind or type of advertising? Scam or etc?

Answer N02 < --- > No. This article/archive doesn't provide any kind of advertising, and it is not either a scam. It is a project in BA where it's purpose is to archive all information about "Knoxville" or anything relationed to it.

Alternative Answer < --- > Why would you think this is a scam, or any kind of advertising. Obvisiously that's a BIG NO! This article follows the rules of BA.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question N03 < --- > Why can't you archive this on somewhere else?

Answer N03 < --- > This is a project made specially on BA, in which it will archive any information of "Knoxville", or anything related. I'm planning on later adding this archive on "Internet Archive", but only when there's necessary information.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Question N04 < --- > Why don't you upload the PDFs to the FTP server? Or to the image uploader?

Answer N04 < --- > It is because I can't have access to FTP server for some reasons ( revealed later prob) and also so people can get it from the original source. I will post the PDFs on the "Internet Archive", and I will make sure to share them as soon as they are available. Also It is for easier access to some people.

Alternative Answer < --- > Mostly I can't get access to FTP, filezilla stuff. Also I don't feel like it, and It is easier and better to people know the original source. Also, I just could post it to "Internet Archive" to even more easier access.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Question N05 < --- > Can I help on the project? I have some documents or even ISO about 'Knoxville", what I can do?

Answer N05 < --- > Sure, you can help me on finding all the information available about "Knoxville". If you have a specific document, or even a ISO about it, make sure to PM message me! Or you can also PM me with the download link/source link about the information. If you want, you can also upload it on the FTP server. You will be receiving credits as well for helping and cooperating into my project. Also, make sure to upload it on "WayBack Machine" if it is not available there ( original source ) and up to "Internet Archive" as well!

That's all for the Q&A, I'm planning later to add some more stuff on the Q&A.

Now, let's go for what is the important here, the information!

Current Status: "Active"
"The status will be updated weekly, due to it, it may be outdated out for time."

"The archive is in public and kind of "active". I still didn't find any more information of Windows Knoxville since 14/03, a week already. Also, when a new information about Windows "Jamaica" is found, it will be send here as well, along with "Cairo" and "Knoxville."

"As going for the archive, looks like there has been no more new information since 14/03. The magazine is going to be uploaded soon in "Internet Archive". Sorry for a big delay here in terms of updates, I was been busy recently."

"This article version is on 1.07. There were a few updates & some grammatical fixes, that's why it is on v1.07. 1.10 version is still in WIP, and it may take a while to be realesed. Not expected to be realesed any time soon!"

Windows Codename "Knoxville" Related Documents/PDF/PowerPoint

Archive N01 < --- > "2003 ZOOM PCToday Magazine": https://web.archive.org/web/20060318181 ... .pdf?guid= ( 2003 )

Archive N02 < --- > "Inside Out: Microsoft - In Our Words" ( HOWEVER, NOT FOUND A PDF ABOUT THE PAGE 27 )

Windows Codename "Knoxville" Related Posts/Article in BA

Article/Post N01 <---> "Windows 9x Post-ME"?: viewtopic.php?p=105851&hilit=Knoxville#p105851 ( 2009 )

"Windows 97 also had a similar issue, where it had two codenames, "Knoxville" for x86, and "Gizeh" for 64 bit, and was also canceled. Both versions I detailed are now extremely rare"

Article/Post N02 <---> "This is an outrage": viewtopic.php?p=162246&hilit=Knoxville#p162246 ( 2010 )

"There were unconfirmed DEC Alpha versions of Windows 9x that identified themselves as Windows 95 (Knoxville (Unconfirmed DEC Alpha 64 version of Memphis)"

Article/Post N03 <---> "I need Detroit (hacked Version)": viewtopic.php?p=14066&hilit=Knoxville#p14066 ( 2007 )

"Before Nashville there was a project called Knoxville which was planned as a Refresh-Update. This project was canceled, too."

News Reports

---- > All information of Windows "Jamaica" is also going to be archived in this post, when found. ( 03/27, by Blackcomb ).
---- > PCToday 2003 Magazine is expected to be realesed soon on "Internet Archive", only one page will be available! ( 03/16, by Blackcomb )
---- > Versions has been added to this article/project, and it will be used from now on. Old versions will be saved to "WayBack Machine". ( 03/15, by Blackcomb )
---- > "Internet Archive" version of Windows "Knoxville" Source Archive is being planned and it is expected to be realesed soon! ( 03/15, by Blackcomb )
---- > A new information was found about "Knoxville", mentioned in a question on a book "Inside Out: Microsoft - In Our Words at page 27 ( 03/14, Info by Blue Horizon. )

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Additional Windows Archive: "Windows Cairo Confidential Information, Related Information"

Found in: https://web.archive.org/web/20040119230 ... nology.pdf ( 1995 )

Found in: https://web.archive.org/web/20071113190 ... X05525.pdf ( 1992 )

Found in: https://web.archive.org/web/20071108131 ... X07696.pdf ( 1993 )

Found in: https://web.archive.org/web/20070211125 ... X07377.pdf ( 1993 )

Found in: https://web.archive.org/web/20071114000 ... X05542.pdf ( 1993 )

Found in: http://iowa.gotthefacts.org/011607/1000/PX01732.pdf ( 1993 )

All the sources were taken from BetaArchive, WayBack Machine & IOWA Got the Facts.

Also, you can share your thoughts about "Knoxville", the possibilities and etc! Feel free to share your opinion about it, or about this post as well, or etc!

Credits

Information of "Inside Out: Microsoft - In Our Words, page 27", where "Knoxville" is mentioned in a question. Info by: Blue Horizon.

( There were a few minors edit due to grammar errors, that's why there's a few more edits. Thank you! )
Last edited by Blackcomb on Mon Mar 27, 2023 1:08 pm, edited 38 times in total.
Somehow, nature-type wallpapers remind me of Windows systems, principally Windows Vista *hehe* :) *hehe*

Battler
Donator

Re: Windows Codename "Knoxville" ?

Post by Battler »

That magazine is from the late 2000's, so they could have easily heard of Knoxville here on BA where it was one of the hoaxes perpetrated. So I'd say there's zero possibilities of Knoxville being real, since it's long been confirmed as a hoax.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

Blackcomb

Re: Windows Codename "Knoxville" ?

Post by Blackcomb »

Battler wrote:
Sat Mar 11, 2023 6:19 am
That magazine is from the late 2000's, so they could have easily heard of Knoxville here on BA where it was one of the hoaxes perpetrated. So I'd say there's zero possibilities of Knoxville being real, since it's long been confirmed as a hoax.
Sure, I can agree with that. As for now ( probably ), this is the only sign of ( probably ) the existence of "Knoxville". I joined here in 2022, but I was interested in Windows some years ago, and never heard something named "Knoxville". If It is then, or either "Knoxville" existence is false, or it is a lost media that almost nobody ever heard of It. But it is weird to get into a magazine, and being confirmed as false. I will try researching a little bit more about it around here to see if I can find an article about it. I appreciate for sharing your thoughts about it.

EDIT: I think the magazine is actually from 2003, as it is said on the link.

EDIT 2: The magazine was never posted here in BA. Despite of the system itself was heard here a few times before ( 3-6 ). So, I would say that this is a new leak.
Somehow, nature-type wallpapers remind me of Windows systems, principally Windows Vista *hehe* :) *hehe*

Battler
Donator

Re: Windows Codename "Knoxville" Source Archive.

Post by Battler »

OK, it turns out the article is indeed from 2003. Then Knoxville may not have originated on this forum, after all. Then it might be legitimate.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

dixieLH

Post by dixieLH »

probably made in-doors by nobody-knows

Blue Horizon

Post by Blue Horizon »

According to "Inside Out: Microsoft - in Our Own Words" published in 2000, page 27, there is a question blurb asking the reader; "What do Cairo, Chicago, Daytona, Knoxville, Jamaica, Memphis, and Nashville have in common?" with the answer being "They were all code names for Windows." This confirms that Knoxville was a real project from Microsoft, likely being from the Windows 9x lineup after 95's original release, since those were often named after famous cities. Jamaica is one I haven't heard anyone mention, however. That seems to belong to a version of NT within the 3.x to 5.0 range, being named after a tropical location.

dixieLH

Post by dixieLH »

Blue Horizon wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:29 pm
This confirms that Knoxville was a real project from Microsoft
or just another codename for nothing made

Blue Horizon

Post by Blue Horizon »

or just another codename for nothing made
The name could've been applied to an existing version of 9x such as 95's OSR2 releases or a preliminary name or project around the time Nashville and Memphis was being developed, just never brought up in any builds we do have. NT 3.5's builds themselves don't bring up the Daytona name anywhere from what I see other than physical media and documents.

Blackcomb

Post by Blackcomb »

Blue Horizon wrote:
Tue Mar 14, 2023 4:29 pm
According to "Inside Out: Microsoft - in Our Own Words" published in 2000, page 27, there is a question blurb asking the reader; "What do Cairo, Chicago, Daytona, Knoxville, Jamaica, Memphis, and Nashville have in common?" with the answer being "They were all code names for Windows." This confirms that Knoxville was a real project from Microsoft, likely being from the Windows 9x lineup after 95's original release, since those were often named after famous cities. Jamaica is one I haven't heard anyone mention, however. That seems to belong to a version of NT within the 3.x to 5.0 range, being named after a tropical location.
That's a very interesting information to hear about. I never heard of Windows "Jamaica" before, but probably never got it's form as a OS. Never heard of it even in a PDC, If I remember. Probably, that book is the only media to actually prove the existence of "Knoxville" without being a lost one ( being public ). There were some therories in here that "Knoxville" was a suppossed "big update" before it's cancellation, later moving up to "Nashville" in which later was also cancelled. Also thanks for the new information here, you will be in the credits as a result of helping in the archive!

anonymous74

Post by anonymous74 »

probably another triton, a planned release that was never started due to one of microsoft's many development timeline changes.
I collect old laptops and mess with old software.

Check out my website for vintage computer reference information, info on my collection, and more!

My projects are currently on indefinite hiatus due to lack of motivation. See my past ones here: https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index. ... nonymous74