Microsoft Windows 8.1 to Microsoft Windows 10. Why?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Redux

Microsoft Windows 8.1 to Microsoft Windows 10. Why?

Post by Redux »

As you may know, Microsoft skipped from 8.1 from 10. Why did they do that and why didn´t they release a Windows 9? I mean I just don't know how there is no Windows 9, even if its a unreleased version.

Mr-Darenster

Re: Microsoft Windows 8.1 to Microsoft Windows 10. Why?

Post by Mr-Darenster »

Based on my understanding of the question, the reason why Microsoft skipped out on Windows 9 is because we have Windows 9x (which includes Windows 95 and 98). However, there might've been more complications behind that, but this one's the most logical reason I could think of

MyFaceNeverWhen

Post by MyFaceNeverWhen »

Nerdiest nerd in the universe.

Emulators and Hypervisors I use
86Box for early versions of Windows, Intel Apple Rhapsody, OS/2 pre-3.0, DOS, etc.
VMware Workstation for later versions of Windows (sometimes early versions), Intel macOS, OS/2 post-3.0, etc.
Mini vMac for System Software pre-7.x
Basilisk II for Mac OS 7.x-8.1
SheepShaver for Mac OS 7.x-9
QEMU for later PPC Mac OS, Windows RT, etc.

dixieLH

Post by dixieLH »

same reason you won't have windows 13

Dr.pepper

Post by Dr.pepper »

Whoever is in charge of making these decisions at MS needs to be fired. Same with the people who pick the names for the Xbox. Their naming scheme is just illogical and stupid. Most people don't even know the distinction between 10 and 11, nor recall the name of the newest Xbox off the top of their head. Although in the case with Windows, this probably has to do with the bold 'Last Windows to be released' assertion that was later contradicted.
I hate anime and I hate weebs

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Because the marketing team felt edgy.

And also because of concerns that some apps could be detecting 9x by checking if the OS name starts with "Windows 9". The only apps potentially affected by this would be Java apps old enough to remember 9x, since Windows itself did not export the OS name string programatically until like Vista.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

AleQC

Post by AleQC »

Just like Windows 7 was named after being the seventh major release of the operating system, it is very likely they decided to call their tenth release Windows 10.

Since Windows 8.1 increased the kernel version it should be considered as a standalone release and not a Service Pack style update.

robobox

Post by robobox »

Part of it was them wanting Windows 10 to be the last major release, and what's better for the 'last release' than a nice, round number? (Also why so many versions of products that came out in the late 90s called themselves Foobar 2000 or something like that.)

Also the universe where it's not named Windows 10 it's probably either Windows One (IIRC this was a considered name) or Windows 8.2 (mentioned in documentation). Enterprises would have worried about the mere possibility of programs detecting 9x and wouldn't have stopped complaining about the name, so I presume Microsoft decided to just do it before the wave of news stories came out about that.