Channel that has 8 "Project Purple" prototypes

Discuss all iOS versions.
Astro6284

Channel that has 8 "Project Purple" prototypes

Post by Astro6284 »

A small channel called "collectibles vintage" uploaded an video on March, 2022 of 8 iPhone 2G prototypes from 2005-2006, codenamed "Project Purple". The interface seems to be similar to the Acorn builds from late-2006. The video seems to have not that much views, and I got through it today. Maybe we have more infomation on these rare Purple builds of iOS/IPhone! :D

Video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2teuvFfaXaU

anonymous74

Re: Channel that has 8 "Project Purple" prototypes

Post by anonymous74 »

Looks like SkankPhone (yes that's what that UI/app is called) to me. Basically proto-iOS that's used to test basic functions of prototype devices. As far as I know it's still around today. At that point in development, it was also one of the user interface test ideas floating around. The other one being an iPod-like interface (thank god that one didn't come to be). You can find many videos on the topic if you look it up on YouTube.
I collect old laptops and mess with old software.

Check out my website for vintage computer reference information, info on my collection, and more!

My projects are currently on indefinite hiatus due to lack of motivation. See my past ones here: https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index. ... nonymous74

Astro6284

Post by Astro6284 »

anonymous74 wrote:
Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:47 am
Looks like SkankPhone (yes that's what that UI/app is called) to me. Basically proto-iOS that's used to test basic functions of prototype devices. As far as I know it's still around today. At that point in development, it was also one of the user interface test ideas floating around. The other one being an iPod-like interface (thank god that one didn't come to be). You can find many videos on the topic if you look it up on YouTube.
Nice, I'm suprised that all of these Project Purple - Acorn builds are actually common to find through videos, I thought they were going to be rare. That was the reason I uploaded that comment as I thought that 8 phones running SkankPhone was really rare, but you solved it. Thanks!

Steve Matthew

Post by Steve Matthew »

Astro6284 wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:28 pm
A small channel called "collectibles vintage" uploaded an video on March, 2022 of 8 iPhone 2G prototypes from 2005-2006, codenamed "Project Purple". The interface seems to be similar to the Acorn builds from late-2006. The video seems to have not that much views, and I got through it today. Maybe we have more infomation on these rare Purple builds of iOS/IPhone! :D

Video: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2teuvFfaXaU
Hi there! Thanks for sharing that fascinating video on the Collectibles Vintage channel. It's always exciting to come across rare iPhone prototypes and explore the evolution of iOS. I'll definitely check out the video and see if there's more information on those unique Project Purple builds. Appreciate the heads-up! 😊📱