Microsoft Software sold in Portugal in Brazilian Portuguese

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
peido

Microsoft Software sold in Portugal in Brazilian Portuguese

Post by peido »

Hi.

I bought an old laptop from a colleague of mine, and decided to install in it Windows 95 for nostalgia.
I'm from Portugal, and when my parents bought our first computer, it came with Windows 95 installed and we got a Windows 95 CD and manual.
I still have that CD and decided to use it to install the OS on the laptop I bought from my colleague.

To my surprise I noticed the CD is the Portuguese Brazilian version, not the Portuguese from Portugal version, despite the manual being the Portuguese from Portugal version.

Was there no version of Windows 95 in Portuguese from Portugal during it's early days?

What was the earliest Microsoft software to come in Portuguese of Portugal?

Anyway, I'm just curious.

Thanks in advance.

voidp
FTP Access

Re: Microsoft Software sold in Portugal in Brazilian Portuguese

Post by voidp »

List of Localized MS Operating Systems | Older Versions...
https://web.archive.org/web/20160810101 ... l/ff678782

peido

Post by peido »

voidp wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 5:59 pm
List of Localized MS Operating Systems | Older Versions...
https://web.archive.org/web/20160810101 ... l/ff678782
Thank you so much for this information. I never though there was Windows 3.1 and MS-DOS in PT-PT :)

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

That list is incomplete. MS-DOS 4.01 also exists in Portuguese (Brazil), and is availble on archive.org. For Portuguese (Portugal), the earliest is Windows 95, before then, you have to look at IBM instead, who localed DOS into Portuguese (Portugal) as far back as IBM DOS 4.01, of which we have a copy inside the Portuguese (Portugal) IBM PS/1 Model 2011 ROM.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

peido

Post by peido »

Battler wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:44 am
That list is incomplete. MS-DOS 4.01 also exists in Portuguese (Brazil), and is availble on archive.org. For Portuguese (Portugal), the earliest is Windows 95, before then, you have to look at IBM instead, who localed DOS into Portuguese (Portugal) as far back as IBM DOS 4.01, of which we have a copy inside the Portuguese (Portugal) IBM PS/1 Model 2011 ROM.
Hi Battler.

Maybe the earliest Microsoft software to ever exist in Portuguese (Brasil) was MS-DOS 4.01.
And I did not know that IBM had localized DOS in PT-PT.
I've got to try them :D

I now believe there is Windows 3.11 Workgroups in PT-PT because I've seen old laptops with it installed. And I think there is (but I'm not sure) Windows 3.0 in PT-PT because I've seen photos of the floppies on the internet.

Thank you for your help :)

Sherman2600

Post by Sherman2600 »

Another thing to note is that Windows NT 3.1 - 4.0 never released in PT-PT, just PT-BR.
-sherman