Need help with windows 10 source

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
JohnSmithkill321

Need help with windows 10 source

Post by JohnSmithkill321 »

hi does anyone know how to compile the windows 10 source code

mrpijey
Administrator

Re: Need help with windows 10 source

Post by mrpijey »

How do you suggest to compile something that no one has access to (except for Microsoft internal developers)?

The Windows 10 source has not been leaked.
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

JohnSmithkill321 wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 1:14 pm
hi does anyone know how to compile the windows 10 source code
If you have indeed access to the full source (which I doubt), it should be straightforward to compile. Usually MS uses MSBuild for compiling, so this should be your first step.

But without any concrete error message or log it's hard to determine what you're doing wrong. And as mrpijey said, since nobody here has access to the source, you probably can't get much more help here.
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

"Usually" likely doesn't apply there, Windows always used its own in-house build system (razzle).
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

You're trying to compile the shared-source kit aren't you?
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

AlphaBeta wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 3:11 am
"Usually" likely doesn't apply there, Windows always used its own in-house build system (razzle).
I thought they dropped razzle for msbuild around Windows 2008 or something? I remember reading that they now use msbuild for (almost?) everything. But I might be misremembering
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

It's possible that they moved from makefiles to msbuild projects, but the scripts are still there to set up the build environment. The Terminal repo contains a castrated version of these
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Shintaro1969

Post by Shintaro1969 »

yourepicfailure wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:18 am
Yep, that's what I thought as well.

I suppose the problem is, if you do have it, it is probably illegal. And if you are allowed to have it, you probably would not be allowed to talk about it or share it.

Which kind of sucks as that kind of thing is interesting to me, but beyond my programming skills.
“Wyrd bið ful āræd. Fate is inexorable.”

haroldas.velioniskis
Donator

Post by haroldas.velioniskis »

Shintaro1969 wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:53 am
yourepicfailure wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 8:18 am

I suppose the problem is, if you do have it, it is probably illegal. And if you are allowed to have it, you probably would not be allowed to talk about it or share it.

Which kind of sucks as that kind of thing is interesting to me, but beyond my programming skills.
It's been on GitHub for two years now, so it doesn't seem that Microsoft cares all that much about people having it. As for compiling it, as far as I know, the shared source kit isn't really meant to be compiled into binaries, it's meant for low level developers, such as those writing device drivers to better understand the inner workings of the OS.

If you want something to compile, I'd suggest checking out Windows Research Kernel, it includes complete toolchain to build it.

Shintaro1969

Post by Shintaro1969 »

haroldas.velioniskis wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 2:11 pm
Shintaro1969 wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 4:53 am

It's been on GitHub for two years now, so it doesn't seem that Microsoft cares all that much about people having it. As for compiling it, as far as I know, the shared source kit isn't really meant to be compiled into binaries, it's meant for low level developers, such as those writing device drivers to better understand the inner workings of the OS.

If you want something to compile, I'd suggest checking out Windows Research Kernel, it includes complete toolchain to build it.
Cheers mate.
I hope that I can give it a go in October.
“Wyrd bið ful āræd. Fate is inexorable.”

anonymous74
FTP Access

Post by anonymous74 »

It's been on GitHub for two years now
That's only made funnier by the fact that MS owns github *hehe*
My chosen virtual machine programs:
Windows 9x+, Intel macOS: VMware Workstation Pro 16
Older than 9x: 86box
PPC Mac OS: QEMU

Current Projects: Installing every beta build of Windows Me in VMware (viewtopic.php?p=468094#p468094)
Past Projects: Installing every beta build of Windows XP, Longhorn, Vista, and Windows 7 in VMware (https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index. ... nonymous74)