Coalated list of what works in different VM Solutions?

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
Shintaro1969

Coalated list of what works in different VM Solutions?

Post by Shintaro1969 »

Hi,

Is there a list or spreadsheet that lists what works in each vendor VM solution?

For example:

Windows NT 3.51 -

KVM/QEMU

Pre-requisites = SP5
Video = VBemp (URL Link)
Network Card = PCNET (URL Link)
Sound = Unknown/Yes/No
MIDI = Unknown/Yes/No

Also, maybe a link on the installation of the driver. As some solutions like video, require a copy of framebuf.dll to be copied to the system directory, whereas on some versions of Windows the Scitech display doctor is a click and install.

Regards,
Craig
“Wyrd bið ful āræd. Fate is inexorable.”

anonymous74
FTP Access

Re: Coalated list of what works in different VM Solutions?

Post by anonymous74 »

I don't know of anything like this, but this is exactly the type of thing I'd love to create. It's a great idea, and I've got years of VM experience to be able to create it, at least for VMware and a bit of VirtualBox. Not sure when I'll have the time, but I'd like to do something like this at some point.
My chosen virtual machine programs:
Windows 9x+, Intel macOS: VMware Workstation Pro 16
Older than 9x: 86box
PPC Mac OS: QEMU

Current Projects: Installing every beta build of Windows Me in VMware (viewtopic.php?p=468094#p468094)
Past Projects: Installing every beta build of Windows XP, Longhorn, Vista, and Windows 7 in VMware (https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index. ... nonymous74)

Shintaro1969

Post by Shintaro1969 »

anonymous74 wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 3:41 am
I don't know of anything like this, but this is exactly the type of thing I'd love to create. It's a great idea, and I've got years of VM experience to be able to create it, at least for VMware and a bit of VirtualBox. Not sure when I'll have the time, but I'd like to do something like this at some point.
I have been thinking of putting it in to a MS database and uploading it to GitHub. That way people can add to it. Or something like that.
With an interface to the DB that will run on most Windows versions.
I did think about a web interface, but if people are using an old version of Windows, the different versions of HTML etc would be an issue.

The reason behind this is because I wanted to test out GPU passthrough with a CL5430 and it took far too long to run up a Win NT 3.51 VM. I had allocated a bit of time, but it got mostly chewed up by finding what bloody works.

I won't really have any time until the end of October.

I don't want to re-invent the wheel if someone wants to run with it.

anonymous74
FTP Access

Post by anonymous74 »

I've already got a website that's built for old browsers (macdat.net).

It wouldn't be too much trouble to add a section on the site for such info. It's all a question of time.

Current Projects: Installing every beta build of Windows Me in VMware (viewtopic.php?p=468094#p468094)
Past Projects: Installing every beta build of Windows XP, Longhorn, Vista, and Windows 7 in VMware (https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index. ... nonymous74)

Meow

Post by Meow »

I test lots of operating systems in different VMs.
NT 4.0 SP6 and up run in VirtualBox and VMware perfectly WITH GUEST ADDITIONS.
VMware also supports 95 to ME with guest additions. If you have a CPU that is too fast it causes problems though.

anonymous74
FTP Access

Post by anonymous74 »

NT 3.1 and 3.51 both work in VMware, although they take a good bit of work to get going. Among other things, you need to set the OS to Windows 3.1 or it will freeze up for error out at some point. No driver support though, although VBEMP should work. Just haven't been able to get it installed yet.

Shintaro1969

Post by Shintaro1969 »

Meow wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:58 am
VMware also supports 95 to ME with guest additions. If you have a CPU that is too fast it causes problems though.
Then you might need the CPU Fix.
I was installing 95 OSR 2 and was getting an "ios windows protection error". Not a big problem, but it did take time to find the solution CPU Fix. https://archive.org/download/windows-95 ... indows_iso

I really need to give credit to the Author of CPU Fix.

EDIT:
Fix CPU
This software brought to you by Conner McCoy (LoneCrusader) with
assistance from Rudolph Loew (rloew).
Last edited by Shintaro1969 on Sun Sep 11, 2022 8:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Meow

Post by Meow »

Shintaro1969 wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 5:55 am
Meow wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:58 am
Then you might need the CPU Fix.
I was installing 95 OSR 2 and was getting an "ios windows protection error". Not a big problem, but it did take time to find the solution CPU Fix. https://archive.org/download/windows-95 ... indows_iso

I really need to give credit to the Author of CPU Fix.
That works on 95. On ME it isn’t really a problem but 98 has no patch. You’re out of luck there.