question about name changes

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
Windows Thunderstruck
FTP Access

question about name changes

Post by Windows Thunderstruck »

hi i want to get my name changed from Windows Thunderstruck to memphis1525 because i dont like the former

im asking this because i have seen a couple other users get their name changed like that brandonhdyc person was changed to autumnbreeze and others i dont remember

so is it possible to get my name changed to the latter if i have ftp access or am i stuck with my current name unless i abandon this acc and make new one
pls call me memphis1525 thanks
he/him, 24 y/o

anonymous74
FTP Access

Re: question about name changes

Post by anonymous74 »

Last time I checked you could only get a name change if you were changing to your real name, but if it's possible to get a different change, count me in for the username 3lectr1c, which is what I use on other forums. I picked this name before I ever even planned on posting here.
My chosen virtual machine programs:
Windows 9x+, Intel macOS: VMware Workstation Pro 16
Older than 9x: 86box
PPC Mac OS: QEMU

Current Projects: Installing every beta build of Windows Me in VMware (viewtopic.php?p=468094#p468094)
Past Projects: Installing every beta build of Windows XP, Longhorn, Vista, and Windows 7 in VMware (https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index. ... nonymous74)

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

We only change the username if there's an actual good reason for it, not because someone gets tired of it.

Remember also that the FTP upload credit won't change with any potential name change as that's hard tied into the releases at the moment. That will change once we've fully moved to the new HTTP system, but for now I will not manually repack dozens if not hundred of releases because of a forum name change.
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

What constitutes an "actual good reason"? This feels like it should be clarified, since over the years I've noticed quite a bunch of renames that would otherwise fall into the "someone gets tired of it" category. There is no reason not to be transparent regarding such rules.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

It's just a name, not the end of the world. Since most people here seem to be around 12, maybe see it as a life lesson: next time think a bit more before choosing a name that you might grow tired of.

The only way would probably be to create a new account, lose FTP access and/or any other groups and start from the beginning. And ask the mods to deactivate your old account, because otherwise it would be a violation of the rules. But even that might be against the rules (depending on how strict you interpret them).
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

AlphaBeta wrote:
Sun Sep 11, 2022 4:08 pm
What constitutes an "actual good reason"? This feels like it should be clarified, since over the years I've noticed quite a bunch of renames that would otherwise fall into the "someone gets tired of it" category. There is no reason not to be transparent regarding such rules.
The reason for these name changes are in most cases personal and highly individual, and judged based on the situation and the reason for the name name change, none of which ever will be disclosed to the public (unless the members chooses to announce the name change by themselves). So to the unknowing bystander it may look casual, but it's not. We try to change names as little as possible as it disrupts the flow of discourse (members recognize other members by their nickname, and remembers discussion with person x and y etc), and it also adds additional unwarranted work sometimes as these members request all their releases being renamed (something that is denied as at the moment the release names are embedded with each release and would force a manual repack of every release they ever made).

We only allow members to rename themselves if we deem it being necessary and warranted and it's decided individually for each case, so there's no general rule other than "we don't allow user renames unless a very good reason is given". Does not need to be more clarified than that.
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Channels: Discord :: Twitter