VM to AMIGA [amithlon or other]

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
ivomaioli

VM to AMIGA [amithlon or other]

Post by ivomaioli »

I'm researching the best way to EMULATE an AMIGA computer on PC. [amithlon for example]
Is it possible to create a VIRTUAL MACHINE with an AMIGA operating system?
Virtualbox or VMWARE?
Thanks

mrpijey
Administrator

Re: VM to AMIGA [amithlon or other]

Post by mrpijey »

The Amiga computer was not PC-based but based on Motorola 68000 series CPUs. You can't use Virtualbox or VMware to emulate a 680x0 system.

There are several emulators to emulate Amiga Workbench, such as WinUAE.

Amithlon was a linux based emulator that was based on the WinUAE JIT compiler. So if you want to run Workbench stick with WinUAE. If you want a modern take on WinUAE already pre-configured and with more modern apps and modules then look at the Cloanto Amiga Forever package.
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

...and by "PC-based" mrpijey means the Amiga was not based on the x86 CPU, which would be a requirement vor VIRTUALIZATION instead of EMULATION.... Of course the Amiga was considered a "PC" back then (times were different indeed, and "PC" just meant Personal Computer, i.e. a computer on which you could do more than just gaming)

But I agree with the assessment that basically your only (and best) choice is the WinUAE emulator or one of its many clones and forks if you want to run it on a Linux computer, a RaspberryPi or your phone.

If you want a simple and easy "physical" solution, grab the Amiga Mini. it costs around 100 bucks, connects directly to HDMI, can use USB controllers and you can play games on an USB stick (an 8 gb stick should be enough to hold all the important Amiga games that you'll ever want to play)
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Except the Amiga Mini doesn't run Workbench, and the OP specifically asked to run the operating system :). Of course, "operating system" on the Amiga can be somewhat fuzzy since the games self-booted with a minimal OS bootloader etc, but I am assuming OP wants to run the full official OS, i.e Workbench.

But if you want to experience the full Workbench desktop in all its glory with modern tools and looks then the Cloanto package is very nice, as it comes with a full pre-configured WinUAE config that emulates an Amiga 4000 with an emulator Picasso accelerator with capabilities far beyond the original hardware. I.e full resolution full color at greater speeds the original A4000 could ever dream of.
Official guidelines: The Definitive Guide to BetaArchive :: Abandonware
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

mrpijey wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 11:21 am
Except the Amiga Mini doesn't run Workbench
It does (although it is a bit tricky to set up, or at least it was tricky when I tried it, back on the original firmware... as I understand it the new firmware revision made that somewhat easier)
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA