Problem with Build 889 of Windows NT 3.51

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
AussieCartoonFan2001A

Problem with Build 889 of Windows NT 3.51

Post by AussieCartoonFan2001A »

I have been trying to get Windows NT Workstation 3.51 Build 889 to run on VirtualBox and also one time in Pcem. While I did manage to get it installed, however when I get a stop error I get this chkdsk that truncates specific stuff including NTLDR. Here is proof

When I restarted again I get the Couldn't find NTLDR. Here is the evidence. Image
Is there any workaround for this

Update:I solved it by disabling chkdsk during boot when I installed it in Pcem

vbdasc

Re: Problem with Build 889 of Windows NT 3.51

Post by vbdasc »

Seems like whatever caused the STOP error has trashed the root directory of your FAT volume.

OTOH, the chkdsk or the FAT support of this specific version could be buggy. To verify this, try resetting your VM without shutting it down first, and see if your data will be trashed again after the chkdsk. This might be destructive, so be prepared to install the OS again.

Also, it would be a good idea to boot from a DOS diskette after such a STOP error and check C: with DOS' chkdsk or SCANDISK.

sonicrush007

Re: Problem with Build 889 of Windows NT 3.51

Post by sonicrush007 »

Just another suggestion: Use 86Box (a better PCem fork). Virtualbox and other VM software are not your best bet when trying to run these old builds. Use software that utilizes emulation so it can match hardware made around that time. And also, do not use specs that are crazy high for their time when using 86Box.