Windows Odyssey NT range??

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Windows2005

Windows Odyssey NT range??

Post by Windows2005 »

If you ever heard of Windows odyssey (I assume you have), it is one of the most unknown versions of Windows. Unlike Neptune/triton, Odyssey does not have much news behind it and also does not have any builds leaked.
But my question is, What NT range was Odyssey planned to be at the time?
A Microsoft document from 1998 states that Neptune and Triton would be similar releases both released sometime in 2001.
From what we know. It was similar to Whistler in many ways.
I would assume the NT version could potentially be 5.1 but it could then also be around the range of 5.1-6.1.

Fanta Shokata
FTP Access

Re: Windows Odyssey NT range??

Post by Fanta Shokata »

I think it was planned to be NT 6.0 according to unverified sources.
We stand with Ukraine

Random_User
Donator

Post by Random_User »

The so-called unverified source in question is actually Paul Thurrott.

dixieLH

Post by dixieLH »

and he is terrible source to have

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

My guess is 5.1 based on this slide:

Source: https://benslivka.com/2020/11/20/before ... vice-1998/
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Random_User
Donator

Post by Random_User »

I don't think that that reference to Windows NT 5.1 is a reference to Odyssey. Neptune has version number 5.5; and according to the antitrust documents, Odyssey was intended to be its successor. If NT 5.1 in the above timeline is Odyssey, that would imply that that Odyssey was going to be released before Neptune.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Random_User wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 12:29 am
... according to the antitrust documents, Odyssey was intended to be its successor. If NT 5.1 in the above timeline is Odyssey, that would imply that that Odyssey was going to be released before Neptune.
Antitrust documents don't actually mention Odyssey pretty much at all and contemporary press describes Odyssey as the business-focused successor of Windows 2000 while Neptune would have exclusively focused on the home consumer market.

Some internal docs also mention that the source depot for Odyssey was planned to be set up in January 2000, although that obviously didn't end up happening.

Windows2005

Post by Windows2005 »

AlphaBeta wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 12:30 pm
My guess is 5.1 based on this slide:

Source: https://benslivka.com/2020/11/20/before ... vice-1998/
thats interesting that it says NepTune would have a new interface! I thought it would just be windows 2000's interface. This could mean the professional theme from builds like 2223 could possibly have been meant for NepTune or was it something else? Maybe Candy was meant for Neptune!
because from what I know, the only interfaces we never seen were some of the core OS interfaces (Polaris/10X), the early cario interface (likely just some beta of 95), and the planned Blackcomb interface!

I would assume builds of NepTune that we found from file versions (later builds) could exist and if they do they could include/have information on these theme's (I'm talking 5116/5117 to 5200)
If NepTune and Odyssey never merged. We would maybe have some NepTune x Luna interface while Odyssey would keep the classic theme (its server).

Did NepTune and Odyssey ever merge? I could see Odyssey becoming XP and NepTune/Triton being deleted/becoming part of Blackcomb/Longhorn
Speaking of Blackcomb here, Blackcomb would very likely be NT 7.0 from what I know and Longhorn is 6.0 (Earlier builds could have been 5.2).

If Odyssey was also gonna have builds in January 2000, we would certainly have some proof by now (either a build or some Microsoft confirmed images) bearing the project cancellation around that time that probably Microsoft would make an earlier compile that would be just like 2000 but with bug fixes.

edit: Early builds of Odyssey if they exist could possibly be directly related to early builds of whistler although we have no proof.

another edit: 2202 from XP could somewhat be some sort of cancelled version of Odyssey, People couldn't tell much of a difference from 2195 and this build (even though XP was early at the time) but I would Assume odyssey work could have been like Blackcomb and Longhorn where Most features would have been Ported into Neptune before cancellation/being merged.

Another thing: Triton would have probably have the NepTune build number/range.

But if odyssey existed, What would the build range be? would it continue like XP into 22XX or would it skip ahead like Neptune did (3XXX, 4XXX, 5XXX) (also realizing 5000 would be the first version of NepTune because I doubt NepTune started at 49xx/48xx. this could be proof 5000 is fake as it already has lots of Branding Changes early on).

Random_User
Donator

Post by Random_User »

Windows2005 wrote:But if odyssey existed, What would the build range be? would it continue like XP into 22XX or would it skip ahead like Neptune did (3XXX, 4XXX, 5XXX) (also realizing 5000 would be the first version of NepTune because I doubt NepTune started at 49xx/48xx. this could be proof 5000 is fake as it already has lots of Branding Changes early on).
I would note that we don't know which build number ranges were used for Neptune were used and which were skipped. It's plausible that all Neptune builds were 5XXX and that 3XXX and 4XXX were skipped. It could likewise be the case that 5XXX was used for M2, 3XXX-4XXX for M1, and 2XXX for preliminary builds. Other variations are also consistent with what it known (which isn't much).

In light of that, build 5000 (if it exists) might not be as early of a build as the above quote suggests. It might be a preliminary build, in which case the logo change in the A.Nonymous screenshot would be questionable. Likewise, it might just be an earlier Milestone 2 build than 5111.1, in which case the logo change wouldn't be particularly unusual (and in fact would be consistent with the multiple changes to the Whistler logo in similarly early development stages).

dixieLH

Post by dixieLH »

Windows2005 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:17 am

thats interesting that it says NepTune would have a new interface! ...
and it did have, it was activity centers, and they were disabled or half baked in
tbh youre doing too much sci-fi out of this

Windows2005

Post by Windows2005 »

dixieLH wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:10 pm
Windows2005 wrote:

That's interesting that it says NepTune would have a new interface! ...
and it did have, it was activity centers, and they were disabled or half-baked in
tbh you're doing too much sci-fi out of this
By new Interface, I would imagine also a new theme to match up, and not something too much like luna, something like the professional theme would only change window borders, start menu, the colour of the classic theme, and start logo (in 225X range)
That's how I got the Idea that Candy could have originally been in late NepTune (if late NepTune existed). But again I could be wrong

I heard that NepTune was actually still worked on at the time and was actually in a Beta 1 stage before Whistler and Whistler Server became the main focus.

But that's out of focus, Professional wasn't a big upgrade from classic, only the new window borders, start menu, and applications were the big thing and most people would think it was still classic with some added features (at the time was major in 98SE, 2000, some ME)

I would say the only way to see if this is true is by attempting to load these 2 themes in NepTune and if they ran well they could have been imported back which would mean that somewhere out there is a late NepTune build!

I know that's out of focus but I think someone may find another build someday... I would say the late Milestone builds the rarest ones (Kinda like if we got Whistler 2426 right now)

Potential release candidates/builds to come out soon are 5000 (if real), 5116/5117, and 5094/5095/5096. (I mean in the next decade we will likely have a 2nd NepTune :beta: )

Another out-of-reach thing is, what if Triton was meant to have Luna before they cancelled it? Triton was like a Service Pack but included much more changes...

dixieLH

Post by dixieLH »

if they used candy they'd get lawsuit up their ass
Triton was like a Service Pack but included much more changes...
it wasnt anything, it was never done

Windows2005

Post by Windows2005 »

dixieLH wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 5:22 pm
if they used candy they'd get lawsuit up their ass
Triton was like a Service Pack but included much more changes...
it wasn't anything, it was never done
Again Candy was a test and I'm just saying it could have originated from Neptune

Also, that was the plan for Triton I know it was not finished. I guess I said it wrong but it was planned to add more changes and may have originated the idea of luna

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Windows2005 wrote:
thats interesting that it says NepTune would have a new interface! I thought it would just be windows 2000's interface.
Um, they obviously mean Activity Centers.
Random_User wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 3:49 am
I would note that we don't know which build number ranges were used for Neptune were used and which were skipped. It's plausible that all Neptune builds were 5XXX and that 3XXX and 4XXX were skipped. It could likewise be the case that 5XXX was used for M2, 3XXX-4XXX for M1, and 2XXX for preliminary builds. Other variations are also consistent with what it known (which isn't much).
Well, from what we know, Neptune didn't really last for that long, so I think a jump to 5000 is pretty likely. I believe the reason behind the build number jump as well as the 5.50 version number was to synchronize Windows version with the one of IE. Now from what we see in 5111, this didn't end up happening during Neptune, as we see IE components still using their own build numbers.

However, it was ultimately implemented during Whistler, although the other way around -- IE reset their build numbers to match Windows.

With that being said, I don't think your theory of Neptune jumping to 3XXX/4XXX and 5XXX for different milestones makes all that much sense. Microsoft didn't really make such large jumps in this era; the only thousand jump I can think of is 2500 to 3500 when XP was nearing completion and they had two branches going in parallel.
Last edited by AlphaBeta on Sat Jun 25, 2022 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dixieLH

Post by dixieLH »

Windows2005 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:17 pm
Again Candy was a test and I'm just saying it could have originated from Neptune
i dont see how when neptune didnt had skining engine at all
youre dilusional

Windows2005

Post by Windows2005 »

dixieLH wrote:
Sat Jun 25, 2022 3:06 pm
Windows2005 wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:17 pm
i dont see how when neptune didnt had skining engine at all
youre dilusional
and have you ever tried to add one from 2250?

dixieLH

Post by dixieLH »

thats not neptune
stop beating smoking bush