Interesting bug in Control Panel

Discuss Windows 11 and newer.
KTRMAmbiance

Interesting bug in Control Panel

Post by KTRMAmbiance »

Came across this when messing with the (now deprecated) Control Panel in Windows 11; clicking the Up button brings you to a Windows 10-style Ribbon explorer rather than the new one. This is in version 21H2 by the way.

For further proof, here's the new explorer and the Ribbon one resulted from the bug:

anonymous74

Re: Interesting bug in Control Panel

Post by anonymous74 »

Wow, that's actually a really cool bug! I might actually use that on my secondary laptop that I actually put Windows 11 on. Just more evidence of how poorly build Windows 11 is...
I collect old laptops and mess with old software.

Check out my website for vintage computer reference information, info on my collection, and more!

My projects are currently on indefinite hiatus due to lack of motivation. See my past ones here: https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index. ... nonymous74

Nguyen Thien Minh

Post by Nguyen Thien Minh »

Oh, and that bug still isn't fixed in Windows 11 Nickel. *sighs* Really, Microsoft?

somerone

Post by somerone »

Nguyen Thien Minh wrote:
Tue Jun 21, 2022 4:47 am
Oh, and that bug still isn't fixed in Windows 11 Nickel. *sighs* Really, Microsoft?
Latest Copper build still has this bug. So you can't expect them to fix it in Nickel.

xelloss
Donator

Post by xelloss »

Nguyen Thien Minh wrote:
Have you reported it? 🤔

Nguyen Thien Minh

Post by Nguyen Thien Minh »

somerone wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 1:33 pm
Nguyen Thien Minh wrote:
Latest Copper build still has this bug. So you can't expect them to fix it in Nickel.
I mean, Nickel's RTM'd already, so you'd expect them to fix the bug after it appears in Windows 11 21H2...
xelloss wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2022 3:24 pm
Nguyen Thien Minh wrote:
Have you reported it? 🤔
Not yet, but about to do it now...
EDIT: Done!

elstef41

Post by elstef41 »

Nice.

I know other way to get the ribbon interface; you go to the Administrative Tools folder, then select some item in the navigation panel.

KTRMAmbiance

Post by KTRMAmbiance »

It looks like the Control Panel is using some sort of an old framework, judging by:

1. The search icon being on the left side of the search box rather than right
2. Typing "Control Panel" into the Explorer address bar closing the window and re-opening it

Hence why this bug happens

Meow

Post by Meow »

KTRMAmbiance wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:44 pm
It looks like the Control Panel is using some sort of an old framework, judging by:

2. Typing "Control Panel" into the Explorer address bar closing the window and re-opening it

It’s likely that the UWP control bar doesn’t contain the proper icons and whatnot for Control Panel. Control Panel is also being merged into the settings app so it will probably be removed in a future release. There is no point in MS adding control panel support to the UWP control bar.

KTRMAmbiance

Post by KTRMAmbiance »

Meow wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:55 pm
KTRMAmbiance wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 4:44 pm

It’s likely that the UWP control bar doesn’t contain the proper icons and whatnot for Control Panel. Control Panel is also being merged into the settings app so it will probably be removed in a future release. There is no point in MS adding control panel support to the UWP control bar.
I know, and the directories C:\Windows\Fonts and C:\Windows\Offline Web Pages (which the latter is also deprecated) also don't use the UWP bar, however the bug doesn't happen there.

Hence both them and the Control Panel run from the Explorer window

WayneNathaniel2600

Post by WayneNathaniel2600 »

I hope this gets fixed on Windows 11 22h2, This makes Windows 11 inconsistent and This also counts as Bugs By the way
I am A Filipino GoAnimater, YouTube User and a Windows modder. I made my BA Acc to add some missing details

KTRMAmbiance

Post by KTRMAmbiance »

WayneNathaniel2600 wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:30 am
I hope this gets fixed on Windows 11 22h2, This makes Windows 11 inconsistent and This also counts as Bugs By the way
It's still not fixed, read the posts above, one has a screenshot of the said build

I had upgraded to 22H2 a month ago, checked it myself and still the same bug

WayneNathaniel2600

Post by WayneNathaniel2600 »

KTRMAmbiance wrote:
Sat Oct 29, 2022 6:44 pm
WayneNathaniel2600 wrote:
Thu Oct 27, 2022 11:30 am
It's still not fixed, read the posts above, one has a screenshot of the said build

I had upgraded to 22H2 a month ago, checked it myself and still the same bug
Let's wait for Windows 11 23h1 or Windows 12 to fix this. And Also i wanted the Older themes like Windows Classic, Windows Luna, Windows Aero and Windows 8 metro (With Centered title bars) will get returned on future releases. I hate The New design, I also disliked Windows 10's design. But i am able to use third party themes for these OS. Just Windows updates breaks the UXTheme Patcher
I am A Filipino GoAnimater, YouTube User and a Windows modder. I made my BA Acc to add some missing details

rthdribl

Post by rthdribl »

This is kind of an "inevitable bug". After the ribbon was introduced, Control Panel was excluded from loading any toolbars. The Windows 11 bar is not a redesign. Noboy redesigns anything, because they're scared. Windows 11 explorer toolbar is a *plugin*. So, since Control Panel does not load any plugins, it defaults to the actual (actual, technically not "old") toolbar.

Changing that would require changing how Control Panel works... but they want to remove it altogether.
MINI NT EXECUTIVE Version 1.0
rthdribl

YurikDzya

Post by YurikDzya »

Same thing you can achieve if you will access "System Tools" and go back.

KTRMAmbiance

Post by KTRMAmbiance »

Noticed yesterday that this bug does not happen on classic personalization, color and wallpaper applets (enabled with Winaero Tweaker):

Additionally they run on a File Explorer window, rather than Control Panel.

Clicking the Up button there only puts the Win7-style command bar, however:

FarmerCars789

Post by FarmerCars789 »

KTRMAmbiance wrote:
Fri Jan 20, 2023 11:54 am
Noticed yesterday that this bug does not happen on classic personalization, color and wallpaper applets (enabled with Winaero Tweaker):

Additionally they run on a File Explorer window, rather than Control Panel.

Clicking the Up button there only puts the Win7-style command bar, however:

Tried this in summer of 2022 when i had Windows 11.
Windows 8.1 will be forever… (in our hearts)
:beta:
  • Windows 10 = trash
  • Windows 11 = dumpster
  • Windows ME = complete absolute waste