Can't connect to FTP server, followed the steps

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
Caballus

Can't connect to FTP server, followed the steps

Post by Caballus »

Hello,

followed the guidelines and can't connect to the ftp server.

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Error: Connection timed out after 20 seconds of inactivity
Error: Could not connect to server

Used the proposed version of FileZilla. I had a feeling that it won't work.

Greetings,
Cabal

XylonJack
Donator

Re: Can't connect to FTP server, followed the steps

Post by XylonJack »

I think you need to change the timeout from the default 20 seconds to 60 seconds in FileZilla's settings.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

You're not getting a welcome message which means your settings are wrong. Make sure you're using the provided port and SSL settings.

kalistor

Post by kalistor »

Actually I've got a similar issue, my download speed is limited to 2 kib/s for some reason and the connection itself times out when I try to connect to the server or browse through its folders if I limit my timeout back to 20 secs as opposed to 60 secs I've got now

Update: the speed cap has increased an is now moving around 10-120 kib/s which is not what it used to be, and when I try accessing other folders my current download just stops. Betaarchive speedtest shows 4.5 mbit/s for download

Windows Thunderstruck

Post by Windows Thunderstruck »

kalistor wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 10:28 pm
Actually I've got a similar issue, my download speed is limited to 2 kib/s for some reason and the connection itself times out when I try to connect to the server or browse through its folders if I limit my timeout back to 20 secs as opposed to 60 secs I've got now

Update: the speed cap has increased an is now moving around 10-120 kib/s which is not what it used to be, and when I try accessing other folders my current download just stops. Betaarchive speedtest shows 4.5 mbit/s for download
yeah ive noticed the awful speeds here too
the usual "routing issues" as always
which seems to be occuring on a regular basis since feb

im surprised no-one is talking bout it
when this can be fixed, this is seriously getting out of hand

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

slow speeds are almost always a problem on your side / your ISP, especially when other people are getting good speed. There is nothing that could be done to "fix" this on BA's side.

The server is located in Europe and doesn't have CDNs spread around the globe like google/youtube/facebook/whatever to speed things up. What you'Re getting is the native speed that your provider has towards Europe
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

kalistor

Post by kalistor »

Darkstar wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 11:38 pm
slow speeds are almost always a problem on your side / your ISP, especially when other people are getting good speed. There is nothing that could be done to "fix" this on BA's side.

The server is located in Europe and doesn't have CDNs spread around the globe like google/youtube/facebook/whatever to speed things up. What you'Re getting is the native speed that your provider has towards Europe
Well I live in Europe and remember downloading things from the server at 2-3mbps

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Windows Thunderstruck wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 11:14 pm
im surprised no-one is talking bout it
when this can be fixed, this is seriously getting out of hand
It's getting out of hand? This affect only a handful of people, just looking at the traffic at the time of writing this we have multiple members pushing well over 500-600KB/s totaling several MB/s, at times I've seen several MB/s from single members. Although my connection speed has been lowered by 90% I rarely saturate my full upload, which means the problem is elsewhere. It could be between the file server and the main BA server, or between the BA server and users. In both cases, most likely slow ISP routing. Maybe the routing was slightly better before which yielded better speeds, but again, completely out of my or Andys control.

ISP routing is not something we can control in any way unless we pay a good deal of money needed to buy a dedicated connection and multisite setup to cover all major routings. Mind you, the archive is hosted off a home connection at our own cost, I can as much control the speed and latency to members with slow connection speeds as I can control my speeds to say the US or any other country. I.e not at all.

So please, drop the dramatic "It's getting out of hands, oh noes!" (paraphrasing here), read up on internet routing and research the costs of hosting a high speed connection and understand that we, a community entirely based on member contributions and dedication, can't do much about it. Did I mention that it's also free access for you? But you're of course most welcome to donate the funds needed for us to setup a high speed server in a datacenter somewhere that has good routing speeds to all major parts of the world. Heck, we'll setup a hefty subscription service just for you to get the funds needed to get larger and faster servers and better connections at a good datacenter, just to ease your worries and speed issues. Deal? No? Do you have any better ideas then?

TLDR; we are aware of the speed issues, we're on a very VERY tight personal budget, limited technical options and we do what we can to provide you with the free access to these titles.

If anyone has any constructive comments other than complaints we're all ears since we do want to provide better access to you all, but we don't have many options at the time being that won't be considerably expensive to implement.

Andy, you're most free to tell our member(s) what we pay for hosting today, what kind of income we have and what it would cost to have a fully equipped server with all the storage we need to cover our current and future needs. Don't forget to cover the costs of the backup system as well as proper hosting speeds.

Thanks for understanding.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

kalistor wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 11:43 pm
Darkstar wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 11:38 pm

Well I live in Europe and remember downloading things from the server at 2-3mbps
Well, your internet provider sucks then.

Here's what you can do: find the AS's where your traffic to BA goes through, do some benchmarking with other systems in these transit AS's to see which one is the slow one, and complain to your ISP about their peering. It's not exactly rocket science if you know how routing in the Internet works
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

kalistor

Post by kalistor »

It seems like after the today's server maintenance browsing and download speeds have increased tenfold, thank you

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

There hasn't been any server maintenance. Like we said, it's likely a routing issue outside of our control that has now been resolved.

kalistor

Post by kalistor »

Andy wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 12:56 pm
There hasn't been any server maintenance. Like we said, it's likely a routing issue outside of our control that has now been resolved.
I remember FTP being down today, probably what's happened next has resolved the issue somehow?