Windows 95 build 116

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
ActivateYourTech

Windows 95 build 116

Post by ActivateYourTech »

Hi,

So today I was installing Windows 95 build 116, to use WinPad. So I booted in fail-safe mode because it would crash otherwise. But, I can't find WinPad anywhere. Does anyone know where it is? Also, I went in Winver and it showed "386 Enhanced Mode Windows Version 3.95" so what does this mean?

Thanks

https://www.youtube.com/@techactivate781
I don't like Windows 10/11. I like (best to 4th best): 7, 8.1, Vista, and XP.
Cars I like: Toyota Corolla, Hyundai Aura, Tata Tiago, Suzuki Dzire, and Suzuki Ciaz
New Zealand should win the T20 wc this year! (sad after 2019...)

Fanta Shokata

Re: Windows 95 build 116

Post by Fanta Shokata »

WinPad can be found in the Accessories folder of the Start menu. Winver reports version 3.95 for compatibility with 16-bit Windows.
We stand with Ukraine

ActivateYourTech

I can't find it in the Accessories folder. Also, I'm booting in fail-safe mode because it would not work otherwise. In VirtualBox, it would crash.
Cars I like: Toyota Corolla, Hyundai Aura, Tata Tiago, Suzuki Dzire, and Suzuki Ciaz

Fanta Shokata

Post by Fanta Shokata »

If you can't find WinPad you might have forgot to install Plus Pack when installing build 116.
We stand with Ukraine

ActivateYourTech

That was it, thanks!

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

ActivateYourTech wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 4:40 am
Also, I went in Winver and it showed "386 Enhanced Mode Windows Version 3.95" so what does this mean?
Backwards compatibility.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Post by DVINTHEHOUSEMAN »

ActivateYourTech wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 3:44 pm
I can't find it in the Accessories folder. Also, I'm booting in fail-safe mode because it would not work otherwise. In VirtualBox, it would crash.
Don't use Virtualbox for Chicago builds, they end up being highly unstable and have the same issues with booting in normal mode like you mentioned. Use 86-Box or PCem for it. As for it being missing, are you sure there weren't any files skipped during installation and that all program features were installed? I don't remember if plus pack features were still a selection or if they moved to the later Typical, Compact, Portable, etc. setup method yet.
DV
Go check me out on YouTube!

mrpijey wrote:Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

Dweiwin

Post by Dweiwin »

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:
Mon May 23, 2022 3:55 pm
ActivateYourTech wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 3:44 pm
Don't use Virtualbox for Chicago builds, they end up being highly unstable and have the same issues with booting in normal mode like you mentioned. Use 86-Box or PCem for it. As for it being missing, are you sure there weren't any files skipped during installation and that all program features were installed? I don't remember if plus pack features were still a selection or if they moved to the later Typical, Compact, Portable, etc. setup method yet.
Microsoft Windows 9x works better on VMWare than VirtualBox but incase of modern Zen-based microprocessors manufactured by AMD not properly supporting Windows 9x on guest machines even, it is best to use 86Box and/or PCem.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

Early Chicago builds reported version 4.00 also to legacy 16- bit applications. But evidently, Microsoft found enough applications that only checked if minor version is greater or equal to 10, and did not check the major version at all, that therefore errored out when they saw 4.00, so they ended up changing it to 3.95.
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.