What was MS solution to Borland Turbo Vision?

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
Shintaro1969

What was MS solution to Borland Turbo Vision?

Post by Shintaro1969 »

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone knew what Microsoft did to combat Borland Turbo Vision (1990)?
Borland created OWL (Object Window Library), 1991, and in return Microsoft created MFC (Microsoft Foundation Classes), 1992, on the Windows side.
Surely they must have had something, Code View, I would think, would have had some libraries.
I know MS created Visual Basic for DOS, 1991. But I don't know if there were such libraries for C or Assembly.

EDIT: So I found cwindow.h in the DOS source. Was there a public version available?
I have looked in MS C 6.0, 7.0 & MSVC 1.52.

Regards,
Craig

DOS

Re: What was MS solution to Borland Turbo Vision?

Post by DOS »

Shintaro1969 wrote:
Tue Jan 11, 2022 10:20 am
I was wondering if anyone knew what Microsoft did to combat Borland Turbo Vision (1990)?
Perhaps they felt that Windows was going to be a lot more popular than DOS TUIs and it wasn't worth doing anything to combat it?

From what I've seen (admittedly I might not have paid enough attention) it seems like Microsoft's compilers in that era generally came with a lot less included than say the Borland, Watcom and Symantec ones. Instead you'd get a brochure with various third party tools and libraries you could buy. Alternatively I imagine there were plenty of shareware TUI libraries available for C/C++.

happycube

Post by happycube »

Internally, Microsoft had a Character Windows library (I think Code Complete and/or Writing Solid Code referred to it) that was used for Word 5.5/6 for DOS etc, but was never put in MS C/C++.

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

Wouldn't Visual Basic for DOS have competed with this?
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.

MrKnowItAll

Post by MrKnowItAll »

Battler wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:45 pm
Correct! Codename THUNDER (or something like that?)

rkurbatov
Donator

Post by rkurbatov »

Battler wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 5:45 pm
Visual Basic is closer to Delphi than to Turbo Vision as to me.

TV is somewhat niche product neither low-level API for advanced developers, nor high-level visual event-based RAD tool as Basic/Delphi. It simplifies life of the developer but requires quite good understanding of OOP concepts, especially C++ version. Seems like Microsoft, that lost competition to Borland in DOS development, concentrated on GUI and was not interested in TUI anymore.