Can't get GTA Vice City to work.

Discuss any beta and abandonware games.
luis30boden

Can't get GTA Vice City to work.

Post by luis30boden »

Hi, I downloaded GTA Vice City from the FTP server and now i've downloaded it, mounted the .mdf file and installed, I have the play disc mounted and when I go to play the reading disc cursor is always active and nothing happens only GTA VC.exe has a CPU usage around 20 - 25% all of the time. Please can you help? Oh yeah and my compatiblity settings is set to Windows XP on SP3 and I'm running on Windows 10.
Thanks.

mrpijey
Administrator

Re: Can't get GTA Vice City to work.

Post by mrpijey »

The game does have copy protection, so it may prevent you from running the game.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

luis30boden

Post by luis30boden »

mrpijey wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 3:40 pm
The game does have copy protection, so it may prevent you from running the game.
Ok I see it is I'll see what I can do but technically it is the original disc even though it is a copy though.

computebrute
Donator

Post by computebrute »

The copy protection is still active, even with the MDF mounted, as it is not a physical disk. Of course, there are some nocd cracks out there

luis30boden

Post by luis30boden »

computebrute wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:54 pm
The copy protection is still active, even with the MDF mounted, as it is not a physical disk. Of course, there are some nocd cracks out there
Ofcourse! :P

LenniX3

Post by LenniX3 »

for me it worked with the ddraw.dll file

luis30boden

Post by luis30boden »

LenniX3 wrote:
Wed Nov 10, 2021 3:52 pm
for me it worked with the ddraw.dll file
I have only just seen your comment now, I have got the silent patch ddraw.dll but it has the same issue, I even tried to install the silent patch itself with the .dll

inashu

Post by inashu »

computebrute wrote:
Mon Nov 08, 2021 4:54 pm
I'm pretty sure you need to burn out the play disc and have it in the actual CD ROM drive. I remember I had to do that back in the day, even if it was a cracked version. Maybe other fixes available nowadays, unsure.

ribcage

Post by ribcage »

Maybe mounting it with DAEMON tools would emulate the copy protection. Sometimes the drive letter of the mounted disc needs to be the earliest in terms of the alphabet. DAEMON tools can change the letter of it's virtual drive, and Windows can change letters of real disc drives.

luis30boden

Post by luis30boden »

ribcage wrote:
Sat Dec 31, 2022 4:21 pm
Maybe mounting it with DAEMON tools would emulate the copy protection. Sometimes the drive letter of the mounted disc needs to be the earliest in terms of the alphabet. DAEMON tools can change the letter of it's virtual drive, and Windows can change letters of real disc drives.
Sorry only just seen your comment, thanks for the recommendation !