Longhorn beta sounds?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
valvedubstep
Donator

Longhorn beta sounds?

Post by valvedubstep »

Perhaps a bit of a dumb question, but ive been messing around with Windows Longhorn builds both pre and post reset, and none of them have the media/system sounds quoted on youtube and the like. Of all 5 builds ive tested, all of them installed and ran on Virtualbox 16.1, but either had the normal Vista sounds, or the legals Windows XP sounds.

Are the sounds quoted on youtube fake? Or have i just not used the correct build to hear them?

Thanks in advanced!
5000!

trashmaster76

Re: Longhorn beta sounds?

Post by trashmaster76 »

valvedubstep wrote:
Sun Nov 07, 2021 6:31 pm
Perhaps a bit of a dumb question, but ive been messing around with Windows Longhorn builds both pre and post reset, and none of them have the media/system sounds quoted on youtube and the like. Of all 5 builds ive tested, all of them installed and ran on Virtualbox 16.1, but either had the normal Vista sounds, or the legals Windows XP sounds.

Are the sounds quoted on youtube fake? Or have i just not used the correct build to hear them?

Thanks in advanced!
No build of Windows Vista (including pre-reset) used or even included the widespread sound scheme that appears in several fanmade Longhorn or Vista themes, which appears to be a sound scheme titled "Deep Fantasy", which was commercially available on NEO Sounds, a stock sound/music website, until 2006. The Windows XP sounds remain and are used in all pre-reset builds, with a few being swapped with Vista sounds between builds 5466 and 5840.16384.

The alleged Windows Vista Beta 1 startup is actually WELCOMESEQUENCE.WAV used in the Speech Recognition tutorial in build 5308.6 and onwards. Likewise, the alleged Windows Vista Beta 2 startup is actually a jingle used in Vista Beta 2 Help video outros.
Source: Sound scheme myth - Windows Vista - BetaWiki

valvedubstep
Donator

Post by valvedubstep »

Build 5308 and not a startup sound. No wonder i couldn't find it elsewhere when i went manually looking for it (build 5212).

Thanks for the link/explanation. My google-fu was fruitless on this day. Will pull down a post 5308 build and work from there. Many thanks!
5000!

lubuntut

Post by lubuntut »

Yeah they are fake