Can we backport Windows 11's MS Paint to Windows 10?

Discuss Windows 11 and newer.
WinXPFan

Can we backport Windows 11's MS Paint to Windows 10?

Post by WinXPFan »

I loved the new MS Paint in Windows 11!
Surely M$ will backport the Paint theirselves, but how about now?
Maybe a little HEX-editing may help?

ImShreyasKaranth

Re: Can we backport Windows 11's MS Paint to Windows 10?

Post by ImShreyasKaranth »

Yes, We can. All you need to get is Appx Package of Paint since it's a Store app now.

https://ibb.co/pwkCQmn - See this.

BetasAreFun999

Post by BetasAreFun999 »

Yes, we can, go to the microsoft store and update paint. ;)
Man, if only i have a copy of Windows Odyssey, i could've leaked it! :beta:

WinXPFan

Post by WinXPFan »

Is it UWP or Win32?

ToMi1
FTP Access

Post by ToMi1 »

BetasAreFun999 wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 6:56 am
Yes, we can, go to the microsoft store and update paint. ;)
The minimal required build for the new version is 22000, so no, it wouldn't work with this way.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

WinXPFan wrote:
Wed Oct 06, 2021 1:35 pm
Is it UWP or Win32?
Win32 with XAML islands.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

WinXPFan

Post by WinXPFan »

OK. Where's the EXE?

Meow

Post by Meow »

WinXPFan wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:58 pm
OK. Where's the EXE?

Code: Select all

C:\Windows\system32\mspaint.exe
?
Windows 10 should've been named Windows X

WinXPFan

Post by WinXPFan »

Nope, It's not there.

fraaaa4

Post by fraaaa4 »

You don't need to "backport" it for it to run on Windows 10. Just install via Powershell the needed WinUI package, then download the appx/msix of the new Paint from store-rg.adguard.net.

Then, unpack the downloaded file. You'll see a bunch of appx inside, unpack the one of your architecture and language.

Inside, delete the only *.p7x file you see. After, open the file AppxManifest.xml, and edit MinVersion from "MinVersion="10.0.22000" to "MinVersion=10.0.10240" or any other build you want.
After, open Powershell, go to that directory and type:

add-appxpackage [insert here the path for appxmanifest.xml] -register

and voila, it works on Windows 10.
https://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload ... .28641.png (This is Windows Server 2022 and it works fine. It works also fine on the latest version of windows 10)

For some reason unknown to me, if you install any of the "new" Windows 11 apps with this method on 10, if you delete the installation files afterwards, the apps stop working. With this same method, you can also install on Windows 10 the 11 versions of Store, Clock, Calendar, Mail, Tips, Calculator, Snipping Tool, basically any new 11 app that is on the store, you just need to give it the dependencies.

WinXPFan

Post by WinXPFan »

Nope nope. I would not bother breaking my PC.

Meow

Post by Meow »

WinXPFan wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 8:25 pm
Nope nope. I would not bother breaking my PC.
Windows 10 VM?

WinXPFan

Post by WinXPFan »

VM Takes 30GB Space of junk. NTDEV's Tiny10 is 1809 so it's too old for Win11's Paint to run.

ToMi1
FTP Access

Post by ToMi1 »

WinXPFan wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 8:38 am
VM Takes 30GB Space of junk. NTDEV's Tiny10 is 1809 so it's too old for Win11's Paint to run.
What are you talking about? Just make a Win10 virtual machine in VirtualBox to test the process, and then just delete it, if it takes too much space for you. Also, I don't see a reason why it should break your computer.

Meow

Post by Meow »

WinXPFan wrote:
I have 128GB of disk storage and I use an external drive for VMs. The drive is only $30 for 1TB. You could also use a flash drive.

ToMi1
FTP Access

Post by ToMi1 »

Meow wrote:
Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:23 pm
WinXPFan wrote:
I have 128GB of disk storage and I use an external drive for VMs. The drive is only $30 for 1TB. You could also use a flash drive.
That's also a possibility. If you have a flash drive with enough space, you can use it.

Blizzardo1
Donator

Post by Blizzardo1 »

I'm still surprised that mspaint has lasted this long in the running joke of Windows. One of the most basic drawing programs in existence, and installed by default, now getting UWP'd... Greeeeeeat... Say goodbye to Pure Win32. 8-)

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

fraaaa4 wrote:
Fri Oct 08, 2021 7:03 pm
For some reason unknown to me, if you install any of the "new" Windows 11 apps with this method on 10, if you delete the installation files afterwards, the apps stop working.
The `-Register` parameter should be a pretty giant hint as to why that happens. It doesn't install anything, it just tells Windows there is an app located in the given directory.

Blizzardo1 wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:24 am
(...) now getting UWP'd... Greeeeeeat... Say goodbye to Pure Win32. 8-)
Yeah, right, except Paint hasn't really been "pure Win32" ever since Windows 7. And even now it's still Win32 with XAML Islands rather than full UWP.

Blizzardo1
Donator

Post by Blizzardo1 »

AlphaBeta wrote:
Tue Oct 12, 2021 3:54 am
Yeah, right, except Paint hasn't really been "pure Win32" ever since Windows 7. And even now it's still Win32 with XAML Islands rather than full UWP.
Well... yes, it just shows how much Microsoft truly cares about their product. I just feel that they've laid heavy on the UI Changes like a kid laying heavy on the Axe Body Spray.
Correct me if I'm wrong.

dixieLH

Post by dixieLH »

this bothers you only now ?

SONBTV

Post by SONBTV »

fraaaa4 wrote:
You don't need to "backport" it for it to run on Windows 10. Just install via Powershell the needed WinUI package, then download the appx/msix of the new Paint from store-rg.adguard.net.

Then, unpack the downloaded file. You'll see a bunch of appx inside, unpack the one of your architecture and language.

Inside, delete the only *.p7x file you see. After, open the file AppxManifest.xml, and edit MinVersion from "MinVersion="10.0.22000" to "MinVersion=10.0.10240" or any other build you want.

https://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload ... .28641.png (This is Windows Server 2022 and it works fine. It works also fine on the latest version of windows 10)

For some reason unknown to me, if you install any of the "new" Windows 11 apps with this method on 10, if you delete the installation files afterwards, the apps stop working. With this same method, you can also install on Windows 10 the 11 versions of Store, Clock, Calendar, Mail, Tips, Calculator, Snipping Tool, basically any new 11 app that is on the store, you just need to give it the dependencies.
WTF with the Start Button in this picture? It looks like a garbage

techLinuxtux

Post by techLinuxtux »

SONBTV wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:29 am
fraaaa4 wrote:

i feel like 11 / Nickel's paint is trying to load the explorer of 11 / Nickel, but is overlapping the 10 explorer instead. possible reason why the start button looks like a garbage
the incredibly big dumpster of a child

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Blizzardo1 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:59 am
AlphaBeta wrote:
Well... yes, it just shows how much Microsoft truly cares about their product. I just feel that they've laid heavy on the UI Changes like a kid laying heavy on the Axe Body Spray.
And is anything wrong with that? It's not like Paint is a professional tool in the first place. And if they can encourage more devs to adopt WinUI by porting built-in apps to it, then why the hell not?

Blizzardo1
Donator

Post by Blizzardo1 »

AlphaBeta wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:58 pm
Blizzardo1 wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 1:59 am
AlphaBeta wrote:
And is anything wrong with that? It's not like Paint is a professional tool in the first place. And if they can encourage more devs to adopt WinUI by porting built-in apps to it, then why the hell not?
I can see your point; that it's not a professional tool. However, it was originally a demonstration of the power of Windows. Since then it's been formed around new technology, so I will have to rescind my argument about it. It demonstrates the kind of technology present in Windows 11; that much I can see. Still, I remember when 7 had a new version of the program that I didn't necessarily like, so I readopted the Vista or XP version to my version of 7.
Offtopic Comment
It's not like I'm going to be using Windows 11 as my daily driver because I still believe that Microsoft said that Windows 10 was officially the last major version of Windows that will ever be released to consumers. I feel that they've added more prying eyes into the software and somewhat making it more difficult to disable such features. If I ever have a game such as Rainbow 6 Siege or GTA fail to play through CrossOver or just plain ol' WINE, then yes, I'll just run a T2 Hypervisor of my choice and pass through one of my graphics cards so I can play with friends.

fraaaa4

Post by fraaaa4 »

techLinuxtux wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 12:53 pm
SONBTV wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 8:29 am
fraaaa4 wrote:

i feel like 11 / Nickel's paint is trying to load the explorer of 11 / Nickel, but is overlapping the 10 explorer instead. possible reason why the start button looks like a garbage
It's just StartIsBack glitching out when changing resolutions...