What else will windows 11 change?

Discuss Windows 11 and newer.
CrazyPeach112

What else will windows 11 change?

Post by CrazyPeach112 »

I used the "Sun Valley" and "Nickel" versions of Windows 11 and felt that nothing seemed to have changed at the moment except for small thematic changes such as taskbars and icons, and the deletion of something from the original Windows 10.Although Windows 11 is designed to replace the failed Windows 10X, I'm more concerned about whether Windows 11 can make any progress over the next long testing cycle. For example, in the system operation stability, new user visual experience and so on.
Do you think there's anything better to change about Windows 11? :idea:

Fanta Shokata
FTP Access

Re: What else will windows 11 change?

Post by Fanta Shokata »

They should make dark mode more consistent with the rest of the OS.
SHOKATA caused a General Protection Fault in module KRNL386.EXE at 6211:1566

dixieLH

Post by dixieLH »

stop using telemetry on people
but that wont change ever since they do business with US govt

anonymous74
FTP Access

Post by anonymous74 »

I wish they would fix things like the control panel and settings app STILL being 2 seperate apps after 9 years.
My chosen virtual machine programs:
Windows 9x+, Intel macOS: VMware Workstation Pro 16
Older than 9x: PCEm
PPC Mac OS: QEMU

Current Projects: Installing every beta build of Windows 7 in VMware (viewtopic.php?t=43052)
Past Projects: Installing every beta build of Windows XP, Longhorn, and Vista in VMware (https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index. ... nonymous74)

ToMi1
FTP Access

Post by ToMi1 »

Something I would like to see in Windows 11 and future updates includes the following:

- Merging the Control Panel and Settings into one application,
- Bringing back the Homegroup feature,
- Bringing back the right-click Taskbar menu - one of the most useful functions that I really don't understand why was removed,
- Lesser amount of bloat (also includes removing the Microsoft Teams integration non-sense).

Fanta Shokata
FTP Access

Post by Fanta Shokata »

ToMi1 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:57 pm
Something I would like to see in Windows 11 and future updates includes the following:

- Merging the Control Panel and Settings into one application,
- Bringing back the Homegroup feature,
- Bringing back the right-click Taskbar menu - one of the most useful functions that I really don't understand why was removed,
- Lesser amount of bloat (also includes removing the Microsoft Teams integration non-sense).
I would bring back Live Tiles.
SHOKATA caused a General Protection Fault in module KRNL386.EXE at 6211:1566

Kimberly5384

Post by Kimberly5384 »

I think the latest version of Windows 10 quite answered a few concerns people had. Recently installed it on a machine after not touching it for a while and I wanted to see what has changed since then. I'm bringing this up because I really do enjoy all the improvements they made to Windows 10 over the past 3 years, it went from being inconsistently designed and annoying to being less intrusive in some areas as well as fixing most of my problems I had with it.
I don't think Windows 11 is going to change much given the fact that Windows 10's recent updates pretty much fixed things according to the critisms many people had with it.
When talking about what they should change, for starters, I think being able to drag and drop widgets onto the desktop would be nice.
Transparency effects in the title bars of all Windows would also get a thumbs up from me.
An option to change the size of Taskbar icons would also be appreciated. Also re-adding the ability to open the task manager by right-clicking on the Taskbar would be nice.
Also, bring back Homegroup, Microsoft. I mean, come on, really.
One last thing I'd like is for them to include an option to enable the old Ribbon feature in Explorer.
Legends say if you read this signature, you'll come across good fortune. Lucky you!

CrazyPeach112

Post by CrazyPeach112 »

I want them to 'resurrect' the features of Windows Longhorn (even if my idea is unrealistic)
Then merge the control panel.
Give us back features that are useful to us but are removed from Windows 11 (e.g. tiles, homegroups, right-click menus, etc.)
Don't change something you don't need to change. For example, the window changes to fillets, which does not play a role in the visual experience.

If Microsoft can really realize the meaning of "make up for each other" and make positive changes according to our needs, I believe that by doing so, Windows 11 will not fail.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

ToMi1 wrote:
- Merging the Control Panel and Settings into one application
The fundamental issue here is how control panel and registry work. Some portions of Windows can't be changed by anything but how it was through cpls. And Microsoft making UWP "more secure than ever" only helps to make this issue bigger because settings is built on UWP. To make use of more "internal" functions will only serve to increase vulnerabilities and bugs. Which TPM2.0, Secure boot, and a < minute old CPU are supposed to magically solve.
ToMi1 wrote:
- Bringing back the Homegroup feature
Microsoft has apparently determined this to be a feature not used by enough users to he worth maintaining. So not coming back. Plus there's plenty of cloud features for you! Don't like them? Too bad! Microsoft says they're better.
ToMi1 wrote:
- Bringing back the right-click Taskbar menu - one of the most useful functions that I really don't understand why was removed
This is due to the rewrite of the taskbar. Again Mcrosoft decided that the "advanced" features, including what you described, are used and desired by too little to warrant reimplementation. Maybe in the near (year or more from now) future it'll get added, but for now, no. Maybe never.
ToMi1 wrote:
Microsoft, through telemetry and other means, has somehow decided that a lot of users like and use this so-called "bloat." So it is here to stay. Not going to happen.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Kimberly5384 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 6:23 pm
An option to change the size of Taskbar icons would also be appreciated.
There is a new registry option to change that. They even added a large icons mode in addition to the regular and small one, although the notification area is hardcoded to the regular size (what else would you expect from MS).

Code: Select all

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Advanced]
; Small taskbar
"TaskbarSi"=dword:00000000

; Medium taskbar (default)
"TaskbarSi"=dword:00000001

; Large taskbar
"TaskbarSi"=dword:00000002
Kimberly5384 wrote:
Also re-adding the ability to open the task manager by right-clicking on the Taskbar would be nice.
The Win+X menu accessible by right-clicking the Start button does have a task manager command. Sure, it's not as convenient as right-clicking the taskbar anywhere in blank space but at least it's something.
Kimberly5384 wrote:
One last thing I'd like is for them to include an option to enable the old Ribbon feature in Explorer.
I don't really get the demand for this. The new command bar and context menus include all of the commonly used features and about 90% of the entire functionality of the Ribbon in a much clearer user interface.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Post by DVINTHEHOUSEMAN »

anonymous74 wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 3:38 pm
I wish they would fix things like the control panel and settings app STILL being 2 seperate apps after 9 years.
Personally I think they should've never introduced the settings app and just kept the control panel.
DV
Go check me out on YouTube!

mrpijey wrote:Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

ToMi1
FTP Access

Post by ToMi1 »

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:
Mon Oct 04, 2021 8:16 pm
anonymous74 wrote:
Personally I think they should've never introduced the settings app and just kept the control panel.
That would be good, but Microsoft has decided the other way.

ImShreyasKaranth

Post by ImShreyasKaranth »

1. Remove those artificial requirements.
2. They should make dark mode consistent.
3. They should bring back Windows DreamScene. (Something I'm dreaming since Windows 7)
4. They should remove the stupid Recommended Section in Start Menu.
5. They should bring Hyper-V feature for Home Edition.
6. Update the Volume Slider to Windows 11 UI and make it consistent.

KTRMAmbiance

Post by KTRMAmbiance »

In the next update:

Bring back Windows Gadgets from Vista and 7, but in modern style
Bring back the option to move the taskbar to top, left or right (without registry or third party software) (This is removed in the current Windows 11 release)
Add an option to move the system tray (sound, network etc. and clock) to the other side of the taskbar
Make it easier to set-up Windows with an offline account (i.e. add a button for that like in Windows 10)

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

ImShreyasKaranth wrote:
Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:56 pm
1. Remove those artificial requirements.
The official requirements pretty much line up with what WCOS requires. It's quite likely that their plan is to migrate over to WCOS and are trying to prevent a Vista scenario of systems marketed as being capable of running the OS actually not being capable to run it with satisfactory performance.
ImShreyasKaranth wrote:
3. They should bring back Windows DreamScene. (Something I'm dreaming since Windows 7)
What's the point of using a video as a wallpaper? It's just unnecessary CPU and memory bloat. Some dynamic wallpaper similar to what GNOME and macOS would be cool though.
ImShreyasKaranth wrote:
Why would home users need Hyper-V in the first place?

ToMi1
FTP Access

Post by ToMi1 »

ImShreyasKaranth wrote:

Eh, for using Virtual Machines? Pro editions are sometimes expensive, and not everyone have enough budget for buying them.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Might be a shock to you, but an average home user does not even know what a virtual machine is.

KTRMAmbiance

Post by KTRMAmbiance »

Maybe they could have that as a "Windows Feature" that's not installed by default, and can be installed from "Turn Windows Features on or off" dialog box (from taskbar search or control panel)

Joet BERNARD
FTP Access

Post by Joet BERNARD »

ToMi1 wrote:
Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:19 pm
ImShreyasKaranth wrote:

Eh, for using Virtual Machines? Pro editions are sometimes expensive, and not everyone have enough budget for buying them.
I bought a win10 pro serial key for 2 € Image
French only
Home of my websites Index
Home of WINJOY ("Eta" version deployed)
My hardware collection not up to date...
My Discord server

Voyambar
FTP Access

Post by Voyambar »

anonymous74 wrote:
Yeah, let's remove the Settings app and make Control Panel the dominant one again. I much prefer it over the Settings app.