Is Apple Silicon/M1 good for emulation?

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
EvanKTC

Is Apple Silicon/M1 good for emulation?

Post by EvanKTC »

I have recently switched to a late 2008 15" MacBook Pro, however the thing is pretty old and the max it will run is 10.11 el capitan, which the browser i am using (firefox) is not being updated anymore. I am considering getting an M1 mac instead of intel since i expect macOS to stop supporting the x86-64 architecture within the next few years. I have heard of a qemu GUI called UTM which emulates pretty much every architecture in existence and should run under apple silicon. Should i get an intel or apple silicon mac for emulation?
Dell Inspiron 5379
Intel i5-8250U
8GB RAM
256GB SSD + 2TB External HDD
Two 1920x1080 monitors
Kubuntu 21.10

TiberiumBetas

Re: Is Apple Silicon/M1 good for emulation?

Post by TiberiumBetas »

The problem with Apple Silicon is, mainstream VM software like Parallels won't work with pre-Windows 10 versions of the guest OS, and it'll only work with ARM versions of Windows 10 and 11.

The speed may run decently.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

TiberiumBetas wrote:
Mon Sep 06, 2021 12:58 am
The problem with Apple Silicon is, mainstream VM software like Parallels won't work with pre-Windows 10 versions of the guest OS, and it'll only work with ARM versions of Windows 10 and 11.
That's not emulation.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

dgsga

Post by dgsga »

I have an M1 Mac mini and am currently emulating Archlinux, DOS, Windows 3.11, Windows NT4, Mac OS 9 and MacOSX 10.4 using qemu, which now includes support for the hypervisor framework in Big Sur and Monterey. The emulations run at a very useable speed. This is a good place to start for instructions on how to use qemu (the basis of the UTMApp):

https://gist.github.com/akihikodaki/87d ... 07ec5a1bc5