A muster to collect unlisted YouTube videos (July 23)

Discussion of beta and abandonware topics not fit for the other forums goes here.
themadprogramer

A muster to collect unlisted YouTube videos (July 23)

Post by themadprogramer »

As you may or may not have heard, YouTube is forcibly privating unlisted videos uploaded prior to 2017, technical details as to why can be found on this Hacker News thread. Unlisted videos are videos which are hidden from search results, but can still be shared in links and playlists. These are distinct from Private videos, which are only visible to the channel owner and owner-approved users. Unlisting a video is preferable to privating in cases such as behind the scenes or alternate take videos. As such, those who see the categorical privating of these videos as "questionable" are working to collect any and all material that is better of remaining public, even if obscure.

So I myself am traveling from site to site to see what oddities people might have. Beta Archive being Beta Archive I was, and still am, certain that at least a few of you here would have found interesting Tech Demos or Beta Footage over the years. With only about a week to spare, if you have a YouTube channel of your own, now is a very good time to either make your own videos that meet this criteria public or fill out a form to keep them unlisted and shareable by link. If not, feel free to just share away any interesting links or playlists you might have seen.
Offtopic Comment
There are a couple of projects in the works for collecting these videos, generally organized around a particular niche. If you are interested, see the Unlisted YouTube Video Scramble section of this Data Horde page