Windows 95 Pre-Install Disk (for OEMs - possible OPK component?)

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
DOS

Windows 95 Pre-Install Disk (for OEMs - possible OPK component?)

Post by DOS »

When I was working at a computer store in early 1996, I said to my boss that I wish we could automate the some of the Windows 95 install process, and he gave me this disk to look at:

I don't think I ever looked at it, and as you can see, unfortunately I scribbled over the label because I reused it. I checked and at least 83% of the original contents of the disk have been overwritten with files I know about (I did sector by sector comparisons against files I recognized) and the remaining 17% is some combination of VIA 4in1 drivers and other things I don't recognize, so I doubt there is anything useful left on it at this point.

Does anyone know what this would have been? I assume it was something to do with the OEM Preinstallation Kit (OPK)? I also assume it was for the first/RTM version of 95 based on when I got it.

os2fan2
Donator

Re: Windows 95 Pre-Install Disk (for OEMs - possible OPK component?)

Post by os2fan2 »

The OPK contains an image of the disk, without cdrom drivers. If the cdrom driver is called cdrom.sys, than it's a matter of copying it onto the disk and that's it.

DOS

Post by DOS »

Thanks, good to know nothing of value was lost!

Battler
Donator

Post by Battler »

The difference between this and the normal floppy version is that this is the full version, while the normal floppy version has stuff removed (hence why this has more disks).
Main developer of the 86Box emulator.
Join the 86Box Discord server, a nice community for true enthusiasts and 86Box supports!

The anime channel is on the Ring of Lightning Discord server.

Check out our SoftHistory Forum for quality discussion about older software.