Mac os X 10.6 on PPC

Discuss OS X and OS X Server.
TKM1

Mac os X 10.6 on PPC

Post by TKM1 »

So, I don't know how many people out there know about this, but I found it quite interesting.
There are version of Snow Leopard that are capable of installing and booting on PowerPC machines. I was able to do it on a Powerbook G4 from 2003 and it ran smoothly on 1gb of ram.
It might be a way for people to get applications that a just a bit newer to run on a PPC machine. I'm pretty sure people are looking into getting some more Snow Leopard builds to run on PPC hardware. As far as I'm aware there are a couple of builds that a confirmed to do so already.
Figured I'd post this here to spread the word.

daemonspudguy
Donator
Location: Beverly, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Re: Mac os X 10.6 on PPC

Post by daemonspudguy »

No. You can't run programs compiled for an architecture other than the one you have without emulation.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

TKM1 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:21 pm
So, I don't know how many people out there know about this, but I found it quite interesting.
There are version of Snow Leopard that are capable of installing and booting on PowerPC machines. I was able to do it on a Powerbook G4 from 2003 and it ran smoothly on 1gb of ram.
It might be a way for people to get applications that a just a bit newer to run on a PPC machine. I'm pretty sure people are looking into getting some more Snow Leopard builds to run on PPC hardware. As far as I'm aware there are a couple of builds that a confirmed to do so already.
Figured I'd post this here to spread the word.
"Spreading the word" is pointless if you don't paste any links about it allowing people to actually read about it... as your post leaves it as only guesswork. Use something that was invented with the HTTP protocol, links...

https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/sn ... s.2232031/

(thanks @x010!)
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

Josephlj945

Post by Josephlj945 »

I am one of the original adopters of that MR thread that mrpijey linked. Yes SL will run on PPC Macs but there is a lot we haven't been able to solve yet. Leopard 10.5.8 is newer than either of the builds we have been able to run, also, graphics acceleration doesn't work on AGP which is IMO the biggest problem. So unless you have a late 2005 PCIe based G5, basically forget it for now. Hopefully eventually we'll get AGP working but we have had no such luck yet.