Win95C: USBSUPP.EXE installation on P3 machine causes VMM32.VXD error, unbootable

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
xyz

Win95C: USBSUPP.EXE installation on P3 machine causes VMM32.VXD error, unbootable

Post by xyz »

Whenever I try to install USBSUPP.EXE for USB Support on my Pentium 3/Intel 440BX based Toshiba Tecra 8100 I end up with a VMM32.VXD error during boot, telling me its missing or corrupted and I have to reinstall Windows. And to press a key to turn off the computer.
I tried to backup and later on overwrite the VMM32.VXD file with the old version before I ran USBSUPP.EXE, but this didn't help either.
The notebook is suited with 512MB of RAM in case that matters.

Anyone faced a similar issue and has a solution to this?

xpclient

Re: Win95C: USBSUPP.EXE installation on P3 machine causes VMM32.VXD error, unbootable

Post by xpclient »

Vmm32.vxd is "compiled" on each PC with all the other unique VxDs installed on that installation so backup and overwrite won't work.

As a workaround, have you tried the unofficial extended USB supplement?
xpclient
Huge Microsoft fan and old software collector since Windows 3.0 and MS-DOS :mrgreen:
I did the testing and feedback for Classic Shell.

dezaumsg

Re: Win95C: USBSUPP.EXE installation on P3 machine causes VMM32.VXD error, unbootable

Post by dezaumsg »

hi, I had same problem in my Toshiba Satellite pro 4300 (pentium 3). In the driver's cd has some updates for windows 95, including USB Support. Maybe it can work for you. (they has some read-me files, read them before install)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xVVOeC ... hDHoT/view

0130smart

Post by 0130smart »

https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index. ... ive/247965
I think this hotfix could be a solution, but I recommend XUSBSUPP rather than just a hotfix. XUSBSUPP contains USBSUPP, USBUPD2, some hotfixes, and generic USB 1.1 mass storage driver.