Windows RT on QEMU?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 and newer.
Windowsbegood
FTP Access

Windows RT on QEMU?

Post by Windowsbegood »

Can someone help me install Windows RT on QEMU? I tried following this tutorial, but it's a bit confusing and I can't get it to work.
Windows Alpha Test Release :beta: :beta: :beta: :OD

My website: https://windowsshareproject.com

Darkstar
Donator

Re: Windows RT on QEMU?

Post by Darkstar »

There is a thread about it here on BA, why not ask there?
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

captainlinux8880
FTP Access

Post by captainlinux8880 »

Windowsbegood wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 3:08 pm
Can someone help me install Windows RT on QEMU? I tried following this tutorial, but it's a bit confusing and I can't get it to work.
No, QEMU cannot handle Windows RT. The only ARM32 build that can run on QEMU is Windows 10 build 15035.

johndoe123
FTP Access

Post by johndoe123 »

From what I’ve heard, it will boot but input methods such as keyboard and mouse will not work because himem=false will cause it to BSOD. Also this only goes for RT 8.1. RT 8.0 will not boot at all as it requires HAL extensions.
PC: Surface Laptop 2
CPU: I5 8250U
RAM: 8GB DDR3
Graphics: Intel UHD Graphics 620
Storage: Skhynix BC501 NVMe 256GB

Windowsbegood
FTP Access

Post by Windowsbegood »

Well I finally got the ISO to boot, input doesn't work but I'm aware this has to do with the drivers. Just wanted to ask if it was maybe possible to get input working?
Windows Alpha Test Release :beta: :beta: :beta: :OD

My website: https://windowsshareproject.com

veselcraft
FTP Access

Post by veselcraft »

Input does not work cos of HAL. And also no one released a USB-hub drivers for RT, and i think that USB-hub compatible drivers wasn't even included by MS

SONBTV

Post by SONBTV »

johndoe123 wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:31 am
From what I’ve heard, it will boot but input methods such as keyboard and mouse will not work because himem=false will cause it to BSOD. Also this only goes for RT 8.1. RT 8.0 will not boot at all as it requires HAL extensions.
Maybe if you write HAL extensions and drivers yourself, then maybe Windows RT 8.x will run on QEMU

johndoe123
FTP Access

Post by johndoe123 »

Unfortunately it’s not as simple as you think it is. HAL extensions are hardware specific therefore the fix you suggested wouldn’t work. From what I know of, there is also no way to create them YET. As for drivers you could maybe use SPICE guest tools but no one has tried and documented this yet.

SONBTV

Post by SONBTV »

johndoe123 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:07 pm
Unfortunately it’s not as simple as you think it is. HAL extensions are hardware specific therefore the fix you suggested wouldn’t work. From what I know of, there is also no way to create them YET. As for drivers you could maybe use SPICE guest tools but no one has tried and documented this yet.
Well then, buy a real ARM device with Windows RT, which not everyone can afford, but although... I heard that Windows RT 8.1 can boot into QEMU, but the mouse and keyboard do not work, so for RT 8.1 you only need to write drivers, but...

johndoe123
FTP Access

Post by johndoe123 »

Windowsbegood wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 1:14 pm
Well I finally got the ISO to boot, input doesn't work but I'm aware this has to do with the drivers. Just wanted to ask if it was maybe possible to get input working?
BTW, was this RT 8.1 or 8.0?