Explaining the fake Windows Whistler startup and shutdown sounds (for people who don't know)

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
Kaden
Location: Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Existence

Explaining the fake Windows Whistler startup and shutdown sounds (for people who don't know)

Post by Kaden »

Around the time we were learning about early builds of Windows XP (codenamed "Whistler") a pair of fake startup and shutdown sounds were created (most likely) to fool people. They were claimed to have their first use when Windows 2000 sounds were removed, until the Windows XP sounds were added, when the Whistler sounds were completely removed. But, if you do a little bit of research, you'll find out these sounds are fake.

Basically, the Windows Whistler sounds were created using three sounds: The Windows 98 shutdown sound, the Windows 2000 Beta 3 startup sound, and the level up sound from the Microsoft Entertainment Pack: The Puzzle Collection game. The Windows 98 shutdown sound plays in reverse at the beginning, followed by a slowed down version of the level up sound, and then the Windows 2000 Beta 3 startup sound played in reverse at the end.

So yeah, the Windows Whistler sounds are fake. It is just another Windows hoax (similar to the fake Windows Longhorn sound scheme, and a fake Windows version named "Windows Powered") that someone made up to fool people.

If you want a simpler version as to how it was created, you can watch the linked video.

Kaden
Location: Jonesboro, Arkansas, USA, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Existence

Re: Explaining the fake Windows Whistler startup and shutdown sounds (for people who don't know)

Post by Kaden »

NOTE: The video linked was not made by me (of course.) It was made by Billy O'Reilly.

Kaden

Re: Explaining the fake Windows Whistler startup and shutdown sounds (for people who don't know)

Post by Kaden »

FINAL NOTE: I recreated it myself.