WFW 3.11 dos networking

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
webman

WFW 3.11 dos networking

Post by webman »

I am having a brain fart. Is there a way to enable networking in DOS when you exit WFW? The network runs fine in WFW, but once I leave windows and run net at the dos prompt, I login but can not find any shares. It is using netbeui

Fanta Shokata
FTP Access

Re: WFW 3.11 dos networking

Post by Fanta Shokata »

You need to run NET command from MS-DOS box under Windows.
SHOKATA caused a General Protection Fault in module KRNL386.EXE at 6211:1566

webman

Post by webman »

It looks like the problem is the connection to a samba share. If I connect to a NT 4 server it works fine. My guess is that tcpip is not being loaded.

The reason I wanted to map network drives outside windows was to be able to load games on a network share instead of the internal hard drive.

xyz
FTP Access

Post by xyz »

Starting Windows without the GUI
By using a batch file winstart.bat - which has to reside in the Windows directory - it is possible to pause the Windows startup procedure and to work in DOS mode without GUI. If a network is installed, it's already present in this state.
The winstart.bat works in the same way as the autoexec.bat. All commands will be executed one after the other, before the graphical user interface is started. E.g. you can just enter command.com as a single command to work at the MS DOS prompt. When entering exit the Windows startup procedure will be resumed.
Thanks a lot to Marco Schlichting for this tip!
http://win31.de/etips.htm#winstart