Why does Longhorn 4074 come preinstalled with office productivity software templates?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Emir214

Why does Longhorn 4074 come preinstalled with office productivity software templates?

Post by Emir214 »

Templates for office productivity software, not just for Microsoft Office (.doc, .ppt, .xls) but also for older office software such as Lotus 1-2-3 (.wk4), WordPerfect (.wpd), Quattro Pro (.wb2), Corel (.shw), and IBM Lotus Word Pro (.sam). Talk about "twenty years commitment to compatibility", but without VisiCalc templates. Why do these templates come preinstalled with Longhorn build 4074?

The templates are at Local Disk\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Templates and at Local Disk\Documents and Settings\DefaultUser\Templates.

ImageImageImageImageImage

Fanta Shokata

Re: Why does Longhorn 4074 come preinstalled with office productivity software templates?

Post by Fanta Shokata »

I think that it was done for some strange reason.
We stand with Ukraine

_furokku

Re: Why does Longhorn 4074 come preinstalled with office productivity software templates?

Post by _furokku »

Perhaps testing out compatibility with the software and they just decided to include it in the build?

oscareczek

Post by oscareczek »

Because it was included with XP as well.

BrandonHYT

Post by BrandonHYT »

Maybe they were testing the then-current version of MS Office with Longhorn 4074?

I don't really know what made the files appear in the first place anyways.

_furokku

Post by _furokku »

Must be from one of the past builds as well.
It would make sense to include them and test compatibility with XP-era programs.

Fanta Shokata

Post by Fanta Shokata »

BrandonHYT wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 6:12 pm
Maybe they were testing the then-current version of MS Office with Longhorn 4074?

I don't really know what made the files appear in the first place anyways.
This would have been MS Office 2003.
We stand with Ukraine

Emir214

Post by Emir214 »

oscareczek wrote:
Thu Apr 08, 2021 4:24 pm
Because it was included with XP as well.
Thank you, oscareczek. I checked my XP SP2 VM and yes, there they were: "C:\Documents and Settings\Default User\Templates\"

But I cannot find anything on search engines why XP shipped with these templates pre-installed. My question stands.

Thank you to everyone else for your replies.