SSL Certificate on the FTP server

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
soulman
Donator

SSL Certificate on the FTP server

Post by soulman »

As above, when will it be fixed?

yourepicfailure
Donator

Re: SSL Certificate on the FTP server

Post by yourepicfailure »

AFAIK, it is not due to the certificate per se. It's due to the encryption method being too out-dated because of the current FTP software.

My guess is whenever the mrp and/or Andy can migrate to a newer software. And a timeline for this has not been announced as of yet.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

daemonspudguy
Donator
Location: Beverly, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Post by daemonspudguy »

As devs say when asked fo an ETA, Soon.™

Stannieman

Post by Stannieman »

yourepicfailure wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:46 pm
AFAIK, it is not due to the certificate per se. It's due to the encryption method being too out-dated because of the current FTP software.

My guess is whenever the mrp and/or Andy can migrate to a newer software. And a timeline for this has not been announced as of yet.
I think this can happen rather soon. AFAIK the main reason for this was that the FTP server needed to have a feature to serve multiple filesystem directories as "1 FTP volume". This was needed for the old storage setup and only an older version of one specific server could do that. With the new storage setup everything is already in 1 big directory so we can use pretty much any FTP server available.
And by soon I don't mean next week, I mean that at least the main blocker here has been fixed so the roads are open.
If ur a pirate, say arrr!

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

It's not that easy. While we've removed the folder merging requirements there's still the matter of account management, which is done by script. And the script relies on the FTP server to reload the config every now and then, something other don't do. And we would also need to write completely new account management scripts for different FTP server software (if we can find any that works the same way).
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

Stannieman

Post by Stannieman »

Ah ok yes that makes sense. I expected that this was some kind of standard (surely BA is not the only one to integrate auth with other system), but if it isn't then indeed.
But anyway a lot of Linux server software is able to hot reload config AFAIK, so I think if you take a Windows flavour of a common Linux server it might be able to do it.
Bu I didn't do any research and mrpijey obviously did so I should shut up :D
If ur a pirate, say arrr!

soulman
Donator

Post by soulman »

Thanks all for being BA spokespeople
mrpijey wrote:
Sun Apr 04, 2021 3:33 pm
And we would also need to write completely new account management scripts for different FTP server software (if we can find any that works the same way).
Out of curiosity what is the FTP daemon in use?

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

We're currently using Gene6 FTP server which unfortunately is abandoned today and development is dead. But it was the only FTP software that could do folder and subfolder merging AND it had a method where it would read in the user configs periodically, something we use today when we directly manipulate the config files to set ratio and permissions for every user. We build our whole FTP infrastructure on these features, and while the folder merging functions are not needed anymore the rest is, and until we find other ways to manipulate and read these data we can't easily switch to other software.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

ibmpcat5170

Post by ibmpcat5170 »

mrpijey: Maybe you can use FileZilla Server to migrate from Gene6...
My most wanted abandonwares from original media are:
  • MMPM/2 1.0 (Int'l Business Machines Corp.·1992) {Multimedia Extensions for OS/2 2.0}
  • Microsoft Video for Windows 1.1 (Microsoft Corp.·1993) {Multimedia Extensions for Windows 3.1}
  • Microsoft Windows NT 3.1 Client build 511 (Microsoft Corp.·1993) {Operating System}

Whoever has any of these, please contribute them.
Thank you all for taking your time to read my signature!

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

ibmpcat5170 wrote:
Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:37 pm
mrpijey: Maybe you can use FileZilla Server to migrate from Gene6...
My understanding is that it does not support the feature set required for the migration.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

There are many possible alternative FTP servers, but none that are a drop-in replacements, they would all require some scripting/plumbing to the user account system. Since nobody stepped forward to do this work, and with all the recent talk about outsourcing the archive and opening it up more, I am not sure if this will ever get fixed (at least if the decision to outsource the FTP will pass)
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

bluecmd

Post by bluecmd »

Sorry if I am missing existing discussion, but couldn't you put any SSL/TLS terminator in front of the FTP server on your backend, effectively replacing the SSL/TLS stack as seen by the client? Given that you are using implicit TLS that should work, no?