Working FTP clients for macOS

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
Josephlj945

Working FTP clients for macOS

Post by Josephlj945 »

Hey all,
I hope this isn’t a repost, I did use the search function and didn’t see anything relevant.
I primarily use Mac OS 10.14 (mojave) on my main machine. Obviously newer versions of filezilla do not work due to the FTP using TLS 1.0. Unfortunately, the older versions of filezilla for Mac crashes on my OS. I have been able to access the FTP using a Windows XP VM, and I can also use it on some of my older machines that are running Mac OS X 10.6 or lower.
While this works, it isn’t exactly ideal (and also slower it seems as I haven’t been able to pull over 1.5~MB/s, my speed is 450/25, so I should be able to get 12.5MB/s which is the BA FTP’s cap).
There seems to be mostly Windows users on this site, but does anybody know of another Mac OS client that is working on modern “macOS” versions? I tried cyberduck, as well as just directly connecting in the Finder. Neither would connect. I also couldn’t get FileZilla 3.46 to work in WINE either. Even a CLI client would be acceptable.
If anybody has any suggestions I’d greatly appreciate it😊

nathand1204

Re: Working FTP clients for macOS

Post by nathand1204 »

Oh! That's strange, FileZilla 3.46.3 is fairly recent (2019) so I don't understand why it doesn't work on your Mac :( I'm using it on mine running macOS 11.2.1 (Big Sur) and it works perfectly. I couldn't find FileZilla 3.46.3 on their website so I had to download it from uptodown.com. Maybe you should try downloading it from another website?
I honestly wasn't keen on using an outdated version of FileZilla but I couldn't find any alternatives for Mac either...
Last edited by nathand1204 on Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mrpippy

Post by mrpippy »

I’ve used the latest version of Transmit to access the FTP, or if you want a CLI client, lftp works (once you turn off certificate validation). Both run on 10.14

fanordi

Post by fanordi »

Thank you for your answer, that can be usefull for me too if I want to connect me with macOS.

daemonspudguy
Donator
Location: Beverly, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Post by daemonspudguy »

How did you get lftp to work? It hangs on "negotiation" for me.

Josephlj945

Post by Josephlj945 »

daemonspudguy wrote:
Sat Mar 27, 2021 5:44 pm
How did you get lftp to work? It hangs on "negotiation" for me.
I'm able to login, but doing anything after that I get

Code: Select all

Fatal error: Certificate verification: self signed certificate
followed by the HEX of the cert.

Edit: I tried lftp on my Snow Leopard Mac Mini (which is what I've been running FileZilla on) and it fails with the same error.

ATeamInc

Post by ATeamInc »

I'm no macOS user, but wouldn't FTP client add-ons for web browsers work fine?
I used this addon for palemoon (under Windows of course) and it seems to be good. An unofficial port of palemoon for macOS is available as well.